Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Morceau Mists

Image borrowed from Bing


Morceau Mists

I rose in the half light this morning,
before the sun had climbed
over the burly shoulders
of the foothills I live beside,
and put on my tall leather boots,
and my insulated levi shirt
and beat it along the Orting highway
to my favorite turn off,
adjacent to the country store
in Alderton, and slipped quietly
east to the bridge straddling a bend
in the muddy Puyallup, running fast
and high after the torrential rains
of yesterday.

Grabbing my old wooden cane,
locking my vehicle, I moved quickly
toward my first view of the river,
under the edge of the concrete bridge,
and it sang out hello loudly
with its vibrant voice, sounding
like a tabernacle choir hundreds
strong, good morning, you are just
in time to greet the sun.

I walked slowly, trudging through
ankle-deep piles of castaway leaves,
clustering around my legs like
golden orange koi, fecund wet hordes
of dewey cover on the twisting access road,
soaking my cuffs and laces; walking in
deep tree shadow I was surprised
by how much more of the river I could see
this week, for many of the trees along
its bank stood nearly naked now,
naked and unashamed, assuming their
slim and spindly guise, their winter look.

The air was filled with crow caws
and goose squawks and sea gull cries
as the sun crested the hills before me,
bathing my walk in white brilliance,
and my lips warmed with its
solar embrace, its morning kiss.

Turning my back away from its intensity,
I saw that my own shadow had grown
to over 15 feet, stretching out west
bending lovingly over every furrow
and fence post.

I was surrounded by mists rising
off the river, off puddles, off the dew,
off the slick bark of the scantily-clad
maples and alder, joining in the air
with my own breath, mingling, hanging
low over me, like the frenzied beating
of angelic wings, a brotherhood of fog,
being eradicated by radiation
as quickly as it was born.

Glenn Buttkus November 2010


Would you like the Author to read this poem to you ?

15 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Freaking awesome!!

Love the un-shy naked maples, burly shouldered hills.

Your poetry soars. Retirement blossoms you.

Xxooo

Paul Bauck said...

"What a lovely morning! You captured the mood with perfect words."

Paul

David Gilmour said...

Glenn,
I like this one very much. You were definitely hammering away with mass alliteration.

Tess Kincaid said...

This is incredibly gorgeous, Glenn. In your comment left at Willow Manor, "trees stood nearly naked and unashamed, their spindly branches looking so slim, like pasty legs on those first days at the beach" reached out and grabbed me. I'm glad it grew into such a wonderful autumnal piece.

Rick Mobbs said...

Glenn,

I have to wait until I am off this silly movie before I'll have time to read much again, at least the way I would like to read your writing. Thanks for including me though. I look forward to finding the time.

Rick

Judy Mauer said...

I am going to have to check out this locale. Probably not at dawn though.

JM

Kim said...

Wow, I saw your comment on Willow's blog and trotted right over to see the burly shouldered hills myself. I shall be back...your poetry has an ease about it! I like it!

Kristine Johnson said...

Boy, Glenn... you are really doing some BEAUTIFUL work these days. Thanks so much for including me in your distribution. . . K

Brian Miller said...

nice man, you def bring to life the morning walk...would not mind taking that one with you some time...love the visuals and all the sounds as well....

Anonymous said...

Awe struck on how your mind comes up with the great things you write.
http://leah-jamielynn.typepad.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

We love playing in leaves, so this section is particularly inviting:

"ankle-deep piles of castaway leaves,
clustering around my legs like
golden orange koi, fecund wet hordes
of dewey cover on the twisting access road"

I like these: "solar embrace," the growing shadow, and "slick bark of the scantily-clad maples and alder"

This is my favorite: "a brotherhood of fog"

Oh my, that ending! A river ruined, a walk polluted.

Just put up this week's word list, in case you want to get started.

rosemarymint.wordpress.com

Stafford Ray said...

This might be about a season and a time, but the imagery is universal and everlasting. I can see myself there.

21 Wits said...

What a lovely story about a perfect journey, that I hope you had your camera at the ready too!

Susan Anderson said...

Rivers sing out hello to me, too. Loudly.

Great job of taking us with you.

=)

Tess Kincaid said...

It was a treat to read this again...