Monday, May 19, 2008

Carroll O'Conner Said


All in the Family was intellectual; it was art.
Carroll O'Connor

Both my brothers became physicians and I, of course, wandered into a business where the undisciplined are welcome.
Carroll O'Connor

Conventional show-biz savvy held that Americans hated to be the objects of satire.
Carroll O'Connor

Even a true artist does not always produce art.
Carroll O'Connor

Half the pictures directed by men of reputation fail.
Carroll O'Connor

I do talk less now because the sound of my voice saying over and over the things I said years ago embarrasses and depresses me. Why do I say the same things over and over?
Carroll O'Connor

I enjoyed in every way my 12 years of playing Archie, and I wasn't personally sad about finishing a long job.
Carroll O'Connor

I hate pride, but if I were going to be proud of anything it would have to be something I'd done myself. Race pride is kind of stupid.
Carroll O'Connor

I have heard show business characterized as a refuge for childlike persons in flight from all things harsh and real.
Carroll O'Connor

I'm lucky. Lord, I'm lucky.
Carroll O'Connor

I've run into some S.O.B. directors, but I gave them back as good as I got.
Carroll O'Connor

In a capitalist society, persons who create capital, like Michael Eisner, are given the staggering rewards.
Carroll O'Connor

In the final phase of cocaine intoxication, when suicide is likely, the victim cannot save himself by an effort of will. He has lost the power.
Carroll O'Connor

It seems that entertainment is what most excites us and what we value above everything else.
Carroll O'Connor

It was a lack of system that made the '30s Depression as inevitable as all others previously suffered.
Carroll O'Connor

Millions of people thought Archie was a happy hero.
Carroll O'Connor

My Irish derivation has nothing to do with me. Why should it?
Carroll O'Connor

My professional life in Hollywood has been filled with joy and laughter.
Carroll O'Connor

Nations have come under the control of haters and fools.
Carroll O'Connor

Not all celebrities are dunces.
Carroll O'Connor

One irreducible residual of 38 years in the business is the number of lasting, loving friendships I have made.
Carroll O'Connor

Sheer flattery got me into the theater. Flattery always works with me, particularly the flattery of women.
Carroll O'Connor

Some people thought we were presenting Archie as a false character. President Nixon thought we were making a fool out of a good man.
Carroll O'Connor

Talent can be developed, gift is God-given. But artists have both.
Carroll O'Connor

The reviewer is a singularly detested enemy because he is, unlike the hapless artist, invulnerable.
Carroll O'Connor

The wages of pedantry is pain.
Carroll O'Connor

Those offers come in now and again. They're not knocking down my door. I'm only an old character actor, and I'm not needed.
Carroll O'Connor

Vulgar and obscene, the papers run rumors daily about people in show business, tales of wicked ways and witless affairs.
Carroll O'Connor

We don't really need reviewers, just first-night reporters who will tell us faithfully whether or not the audience liked the show.
Carroll O'Connor

No comments: