Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Peter O'Toole Speaks


Films were never in my budget. Didn't occur to me till much later. I hoped for a long, good life, which I've had and I'm having as an actor. I didn't expect the rest.
Peter O'Toole

I became a professional cricket teacher about 20 years ago. I had a son born to me when I was 50, and I thought, he needs someone to bowl to him.
Peter O'Toole

I have no memories I'm prepared to share with you.
Peter O'Toole

I love working with young people, which is to me a big kick.
Peter O'Toole

I loved doing My Favorite Year, which was great fun, and The Ruling Class, which I made with all my chums.
Peter O'Toole

I tell my children to avoid theatre and go into cinema and TV.
Peter O'Toole

I was apprehensive about bringing off this Homer.
Peter O'Toole

I wouldn't mind being a lord.
Peter O'Toole

I'm a working stiff, baby, just like everybody else.
Peter O'Toole

I'm the most gregarious of men and love good company, but never less alone when alone.
Peter O'Toole

If I'm not at my study by 10:00, 10:30, forget it, I can't write a word.
Peter O'Toole

It is the highest honour that the motion picture industry can pay to anybody. I joined people like Chaplin, so of course I'm deeply honoured.
Peter O'Toole

It's my job, it's what I do, it's what I'm on earth to do and it's who I am.
Peter O'Toole

It's very inconvenient because every time I finish, let's say, a chapter of a book, I think I'm going to ring Richard and then realize: Oh, Christ, I've buried him. I buried him last year.
Peter O'Toole

Life turned out much better than I thought. I knew after a little while that I could act.
Peter O'Toole

My dear sir, it haunted me for the rest of my life.
Peter O'Toole

My own favorite is something called Rogue Male.
Peter O'Toole

The good parts are the people who don't make do. They're the interesting people. Lear doesn't make do.
Peter O'Toole

There is a legend. And to protest is daft.
Peter O'Toole

We were doing it under the most extraordinary circumstances, but the first out of the tent in the morning would be David Lean. He said to me on the very first day of shooting, Pete, this is the beginning of a great adventure.
Peter O'Toole

We were in the Arabian Desert for nine months. And I was having the time of my life. It could have been an archeological expedition, a military expedition.
Peter O'Toole

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
Peter O'Toole

Where do I begin? I loved working with Kate Hepburn, which was one of the highlights of my life; Working with Richard Burton in Beckett was another great joy.
Peter O'Toole

Writing is a kind of performing art, and I can't sit down to write unless I'm dressed. I don't mean dressed in a suit, but dressed well and comfortably and I have to be shaved and bathed.
Peter O'Toole

No comments: