Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blind Dog Blue

image borrowed from bing


Blind Dog Blue

It is colder than it should be
at 3:30 a.m. on a Spring morning,
huddled in my tired Toyota
on the edge of your wide driveway,
under one of your favorite trees

bathed blue in the moonlight;



too sleepy to even stare at the stars

that stare at me,
like your old blind dog

lying in the rockery

thumping its thick tail,

and watching me

through white opaque corneas,
seeing my every thought,

as I close my eyes listening

to the engine's drone,
the heater's hiss,

and the nightbirds hunting and dying

in the neo-darkness,

my mind is bristling with beasts and cherubs

doing battle with sharp dandelion wisps
that fall quietly in a large white room,

like ghostly flaxen feathers
settling on our damp shoulders.

For a moment drenched in stardust

we appear as the stag and doe in a Disney dream,

leaping over logs, hardly touching,
embracing the stringed arias
our sleek parallactic bodies pass through.

The oriental machine is warm now,

the windshield is clear,
I descend back down beneath
the window where you lie listening

to the rattle of my muffler

as I lurch across the thick gray gravel,
waving good-bye to your silent spotted dog,
who is not sure whether I am

exiting or entering
his world.



Glenn Buttkus

April 2011

Posted over on Applehouse Poetry

Would you like the Author to read this poem to you?

No comments: