Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Once When I Wrote a Poem About Sailboats


image borrowed from j. funster

once when I wrote a poem about sailboats


it went flying out the attic window
with a big hunk of cheddar cheese.

my next ode to mizzenmasts went
dancing off in the night with owls.

after more sailing poems vanished
i turned my pen to pastry poetics.

alas, my stanzas about tofu cake
bought one-way tickets for italy

and my chocolate eclair sonnets
ran off to join the russian ballet.

i let a year pass, then managed a
haiku about a man who’s dog won

the lottery, but that one ended up
laundry mush in my jeans’ pocket.

18 months later when i chanced a
poem about cats it fell off the roof.

i then gave up writing poetry for
81 years until attempting this one.

so far so good, the words still here
on the page, sailboats photo intact.

might even be able to slip in a few
words about how the skinny sailors

go richocheting off the rigging and
flying into the great deep and such

before this poem is onto my tricks
and suddenly …


Jannie Funster

Posted over on her site JANNIE FUNSTER

1 comment:

Lane Savant said...

Wonderful poem, Jannie

I view askance at a robot asking me to prove I am not a robot.