Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birth


painting by marina petro

Birth

"You must have chaos within you to
give birth to a dancing star."--Nietzsche.

Sitting in neo-darkness
chewing madly on my acorn,
breaking eight teeth, again,
before lighting my hair on fire,
then dosing it with stale ginger ale,
my mind immersed in chaotic bliss,
my crotch all a tingle, as I scrape
the peeling paint from my poetics
before spraying my lingual crop
with a covey of blue pencils,
just as I raise the hoary hood
and successfully string together
all the words containing magic.

Glenn Buttkus

March 2012

Listed over at Shawna's on Monday Melting 8
Listed as #3 over at dVerse Poets-MTB

Would you like to hear the author read this poem to you?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this one, the whole poem is a buildup and you can feel it building up to the verge of "birth".

Gerry Snape said...

glenn..."all the words containing magic"...so true and so much magic!

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant capture of the deepest writers' madness, the tunnel of thought that blocks out all other existence outside one's own reality.

LOVE that painting.

These are magic:
"neo-darkness"
"chewing madly on my acorn"
"chaotic bliss"
"covey of blue pencils"

~Shawna
rosemarymint.wordpress.com

Daydreamertoo said...

Phewwww.. very vivid imagery. Powerful and electric in it's force.
Great writing!ourcedit

Claudia said...

smiles...i like..sounds familiar somehow...
scraping the peeling paint from my poetics..and yeah..in the end it's magic..

Anonymous said...

Come see:

http://rosemarymint.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/marina-petro/

~Shawna

Sage Ravenwood said...

I came by way of Shawna's blog. I'm delighted my curiosity got the best of me.

"my mind immersed in chaotic bliss" - always...

"the peeling paint from my poetics" - my birth, words I understand.

(Hugs)Indigo

Laurie Kolp said...

This reads so matter-of-fact like and yet its so vivid...

Brian Miller said...

ha be careful of those teeth cracking that nut man...and some days are def like that...birth does not come without pain...you def spin magic my friend...

late again, the word verification keeps me from being able to comment during the day...

Dave King said...

it's magic, but not quite as we knew it. Wonderful.

Susie Clevenger said...

I think all of us who create are mad in some manner..."all the words containing magic" love this line. Great write!

Wander said...

This sounds painful, birth being the greatest creation, also the most consuming

Wander