Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sineater & Other Stories


image borrowed from bing

Sineater & Other Stories

Oh where can my sweetheart be?
She’s the one I’m longing to see
as I depart this world,
my sins neatly curled,
ready to take their leave of me.

* * *

[overheard in H.S. gym-1968]

I knew a young girl from France
who wore a newspaper dress to a dance,
but the dress caught fire
and burned her entire,
front page & sports at a glance.

* * *

They gathered strong in the alley,
from the Heights & the Valley,
to roll their bones,
get into their zones,
hoping their fortunes would rally.

* * *

The working girls got off early,
dismissing the boys so burly,
for their asses were tired,
hoping they wouldn’t get fired,
their pimp purses full, just barely.

* * *

The old men from the mines,
faces covered in soot lines,
were bent over double,
each carrying their shovel,
chewing today’s salt pork rinds.

* * *

Those cowboys walk so funny
after competing for blood money
at the Winnemucca Rodeo,
humming music from FIDELIO
all the way home to their honey.

Glenn Buttkus

March 2012

Listed as #16 over at dVerse Poets-FFA

Would you like to hear me read these more serious limericks?

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

that second one is just brilliant sir...ha...hear she had nice ads too...

Cressida de Nova said...

I like the French one too.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I do believe you are officially hooked on limericks. :)

steveroni said...

Number TWO favorite--I remember it also (maybe?).

But that one at the end--FIDELIO? Did they think that is a "Horse Opera"??

Hey, man. YOU on a roll. Next one--coming UP!

Ginny Brannan said...

You are on a roll. Really liked the second one, quite clever. They are all such fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great job, I'am was impressed by of them.

Semaphore said...

A third helping of verse, OMG.
You make it easy as 123.
With this newest outlay
You've come out of the fray
As the poet with the most. QED.

vivinfrance said...

A limerickal tour de force. I specially love the second one!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Agree that the second is brilliant!

Anna :o]

Frank Watson said...

Yours were my favorites to read
Clever and crude’s what I need
A girl from France
A promising dance
The only thing better, a Swede.