Monday, October 26, 2009

Comedy Is Simply a Funny Way of Being Serious






Comedy is Simply a Funny Way of Being Serious


"Whatever can be forgiven must be
forgiven." Who said that? Well, it's easy
to look up a quote. The searching is free.
So I type, "forgiven", press the return key,
and get eleven million hits. Fuck me!
Is the concept of forgiveness truly
that popular? Or am I just a clumsy

Searcher? I type the whole phrase on the E-
Quote, but that's an insurance site. Fuck me!
I'm not a Luddite, so this should be easy.
I search "quote" and "forgiven", find Brainy-
Quote.com, and get five hundred and eighty
hits, including this by Aesop: "Injuries
may be forgiven, but not by you or me."

--------------------------------------------

Of course, you should immediately know
that I invented this quote for this poem.

If you want to fact-check me, then please go
do your thing, but who the hell fact checks
poems?

A good line or stanza break creates more
than a hole--white space is adjected
inside a poem.

A doubled curse is stronger than one alone,
but should a proper poet curse in a poem?

I don't know which geeks call this site
their home, but I'm lucky that "Brainy"
half-rhymed for this poem.

"What a dog I got. His favorite bone
is in my arm."
That's a Dangerfield joke.

Of course, you should immediately know
that I invented this quote for this poem.

-------------------------------------------

William Carlos Williams writes, "It is
difficult to get the news from poems/yet men
die miserably every day/for lack/of what is
found there." whose fault is that?
The readers named You or the poets named We?

We know there are irrevocable crimes--
murder, rape, theft, fist to face--are there
words, or combinations of words, that cross
the line, or worse, grow obscene wings
and fly like birds?

Rodney Dangerfield was a stage name, a lie
that, with each self-loathing punch line,
kept growing until the Rodney mask completely
disguised the face of a Jewish kid named
Jacob Cohen.

It is difficult to forgive the poem
that spends its time in search
of the next joke.


Sherman Alexie

found in his book FACE.

No comments: