Thursday, October 22, 2009

Composer's Blues


Composer's Blues


Watch (and listened to, of course)
to the premiere of the Gustavo Dudamel
version of the Los Angeles orchestra
on Public telly last night.

Great show.

The Mahler warhorse first symphony
was vital and energetic,
truly a portrait of the victory of the soul.

Or something.

Argued with M. about the theme
of the second mvt.
I say Frere Jaques,
she says Three blind Mice.

The premier of the John Adams' new piece
"L.A. Noir" (sic) left me wishing that
big shot orchestrae would play more Zappa.

It seems that for the last fifty years
or so the work of the composer has been
to take the music out of music.

Maybe it's a sucker's game,
but I want to put it back in!

Wish I had the necessary talent and skills.

I intend to persevere nontheless.

If my strength is incompetence,
I'll just have to go with it.

Now for a completely different P.S.

Writing a 5 minute presto for full orchestra
is a lot of work,
Especially when it's to accompany
a solo string bass.

A lot of notes need to be "aligned"

I'm going to go do that now.


Doug Palmer October 2009

Posted over on Feel Free To Laugh

1 comment:

Elaine Fine said...

It is definitely Frere Jacques. Consider the text of the Songs of a Wayfarer: lots of reference to bells; and consider the words to Frere Jacques (in minor, of course) "morning bells are ringing" or in German "horst du nicht die Glocken."

The Noir piece had some beautiful trumpet playing and a nice viola solo.