Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Letter To a Young Poet




Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day.


Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Posted over on Willow Manor

2 comments:

Friko said...

Rilke, my favourite poet in any language. I am always gratified to find that people whose writing I value and blogs I enjoy like him too. There are few foreign poets who find a readership in the English (American?) language.

The blogging world has a lot of rubbish to answer for, but now and again you find a gem and I certainly try to stick with the gems.

Thank you for your prompt granting of my request, Glenn. You are a peach! (as they say in the UK).

Tess Kincaid said...

When my daughter was visiting last month, she was reading Rilke's "Letters to a Young Poet", and read excerpts to me. I was hooked, and had to get a copy of my own. I"m all about Rilke right now.

Thanks for passing along my post, Glenn.