Monday, October 11, 2010

Rocky Mountain High






Rocky Mountain High

Stefan Gierasch as Del Gue

JEREMIAH JOHNSON (1972)

Del Gue:
Ain't this somethin'?
I told my pap and mam
I was going to be a mountain man;
acted like they was gut-shot.
"Make your life go here, son.
Here's where the people is.
Them mountains is for Indians and wild men."
"Mother Gue", I says
"the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world,"
and by God, I was right.
Keep your nose in the wind
and your eye along the skyline.

I ain't never seen 'em,
but my common sense tells me
the Andes is foothills,
and the Alps is for children to climb!
Keep good care of your hair!
These here is God's finest scupturings!
And there ain't no laws for the brave ones!
And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones!
And there ain't no churches,
except for this right here!
And there ain't no priests excepting the birds.
By God, I are a mountain man,
and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me.
And then I'll leave my bones
on this great map of the magnificent...


No comments: