Saturday, October 30, 2010

Merrily, Merrily, Life Is But A Dream

Painting by Ron Pastucha


Merrily, merrily, life is but a dream

I’m thundering in a blaze of bright lights,
having forgotten too pay the tooth fairy,
on the Orient Express,
disembarking at Baker Street.
I step from the Victorian platform
I am falling, helpless, falling down stairs.

In the dark I hear rats
scraping like chalk on a board;
a nurse flicks the ECT switch,
I am levitating above my torso, my past -
I catch Nana singing
through her dementia, “roll out the barrels”
“doing the Lambeth walk, Ha!”

There’s a sundial in the secret garden,
a single plump candle, there are no shadows here,
I see no flame,
yet I burn my finger tips. Whispers
from a wishing well, whispering! Wishing?
A silver birch explodes;
Philias Barnham’s clowns appear, “roll up...

I part the tents canvas, medieval cold,
Monks in cashmere!
Like 1950’s secretaries scribing
with luminous quills in oversized books.
A face in a shroud looks up,
“the more I learn about dreams, the less I know
about the house of apples” He smiles.

Martin Cordray

Posted over on Applehouse Poetry

No comments: