Monday, September 27, 2010

5 Is An Einstein Prime

5 Is An Einstein Prime

1.
the nostalgia is so thick
wandering in wrecking yards
decades are compressed
each time I turn the pages
of my high school annual.

2.
essentially we are in lesson
as we experience art
immersed in celluloid darkness
I become thinner, braver, smarter
and get all the hot women.

3.
to live in the Ring of Fire
and still adore those great peaks
defies logic, and yet
women still love outlaws
while good men go untouched.

4.
old dogs and men
soak up warmth
wherever they can find it,
whether wealth or lust
men genuflect instinctively.

5.
It was damned hard to abandon
the rush of sitting atop
350 horsepower V-8’s
are now merely esoteric pets
of the few die-hards.

Glenn Buttkus September 2010

Posted over on Applehouse Poetry Workshop

"Whole fields of saffron pollen can be held in a one-ounce glass vial, acres of lavender in a few drops of oil. The same distillations occur in certain poems’ words." --Jane Hirschfield

3 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm lovin' that ring of fire! Strong piece, Glenn.

FireLight said...

Glenn, your work is quite good and draws me in! I especially like Stanza #4.
I am here via Willow Manor where I left you a short comment.
Crimean War, huh? I think I may have seen you on in a ballroom at some point!

Lynne Rees said...

Glen: I like this series, the reflective voice that avoids any sentimentality, and some of the surprising imagery too - I love the 'wrecking yards' of nostalgia. I think 1, 2 and 4 are my favourites.