Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jukebelly Nightbreaker Magician


Painting by Justin Bua

Jukebelly Nightbreaker Magician


Blues man, blues man,
I can see you now,
midnight in the juke womb,
kerosene lights blazing
like your eyes through the smoke
close by the river
all the way out of town,
you getting the youngsters on their feet
twirling, spinning, hugging, shaking and smiling,
as you sit there strong in your spot,
strumming that old acoustic six-string,
smacking it on its bare butt,
lifting your bulk off the stool
with each vigorous slam;
the slide jumping around the frets
like a mad and ravenous metal insect,
eager to bend those chords, to blend them whole,
making that guitar wail, throb, and shiver,
making passionate love to it
like it was a pretty woman,
first gentle—then hard—
for those precious hours you serenade us
with your deep delta delicious raspy voice,
punctuated poignant with kissing your shiny harp,
letting your busy tongue coax
the sweet sadness out of it—damn,
we are neither black nor white, no, no,
we’re just folks, part of the people
sharing one huge smile as we thump our feet,
pound our legs,
getting married to the rhythm you thrust out
into the hot smoky night.


Glenn Buttkus March 2009

Listed as #22 over on dVerse Poets--Emotion

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn: A fine poem! Just returned from Savannah, GA back to St. Augustine, FL last evening. My first deep taste of Southern American Kulture. Yer poem fits right in.

Roger

Anonymous said...

You make it come alive!
Damn that's hot stuff!
Thanks again Glenn!
No body's poetry hits me like yurs do!

Love,Dick

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Glenn. Very good. I was beginning to worry that your creative writing energy had been put on the back burner. Good to see you in the swing of things again.

Bud

Doug Palmer said...

I read Jukebelly. I couldn't recite it from memory but I do remember the raw energy of it and the jackhammer rhythms.

Bambambambam "I got the babies 'cause I lost my blues"

Doug

Brian Miller said...

nice..you had me right there...deep delta delicious voice from the juke womb...play on brother...play on...

Victoria said...

Glenn, I love this, starting with that incredible painting. I'm a fan of that kind of art and that kind of music. I felt the beat and could imagine the chords being strummed. Nice job.

Brian Miller said...

hey i remember this one...i thought so when i saw it...you build the description so wonderfully in this verse you cant help but see this old blues man...even hear him just a bit...thrust that rhythm man...smiles.

Claudia said...

nice..love me some decent blues...and i don't know one single good guitarist who doesn't make love to his guitar...smiles...love the painting as well...

Tashtoo said...

I dare say I'd welcome you to one of my good old fashion kitchen stomps anytime, poet! Love the adrenalin that comes with getting caught up in your words and feeling the moment, the music...awesome!

Anonymous said...

Just love how this conjures up that smoky dark room, the honest raw blues music floating through the thick air....what I like even more about this is the way you show that music transcends ethnicity, age, sex, class, gender- it is universal - you show how it taps into the common emotions shared by our common souls- great write glen, really descriptive and excellent wordplay....now pass me a peanut butter jelly sandwich :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this from the first line to the last... And all a little steamy too, love it!