Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Remember



Remember


You wrapped the night around you
like a shawl and said that I never
remember.
I watched your lips dance through the words
and didn’t hear a thing.

The wind brushed thin strands of hay
colored hair across your shoulders.
You turned away
saying something about the way the lake
captured the light of the moon and held it.
I watched your nipples poke
at the cloth of your shirt

as you said, "Love is like the moon
and the lake, two things forever separate
that sink into each other at night."
I nodded slowly.

You said, “love is the greatest teacher
in life, we learn not to share,
that's economics, we learn that the lesser
of two evils is still evil, that's politics.”

You said, “all the evils of the world
have been caused by unrealized expectation.”
And I tried to think of something clever,
but all that came to mind
was the time in the back of Stephen’s car
when you asked me to spank you.

I put my arm around your shoulder
and considered my chances of getting oral.
Then you said, “She isn’t even pretty, really.”
"What do you mean," I started to say,
but you cut me off.
“I could have you to myself, if I wanted,
but its too late for that.
When it comes to women
you’re like a cat playing with a mouse,
and not letting it die.”

"It's not like that," I said.
"Let me explain."
But you leaned in close
and slipped something in my pocket with a,
“Happy anniversary.” I stood dumb
as you drew the moonlight
into your eyes like a breath
and said that I never remember.


CL Bledsoe

Posted over on A Little Poetry

No comments: