Friday, August 14, 2009

Dashboard Confessional


American Graffiti

a.
Dashboard Confessional

I'm looking out at you from the crazy
interior of my mind. I'm an American.
I like who I am. I'm optimistic,
incorrigible, naïve, open, hedonistic,
individualistic, expansive, laid back
and weird, screaming down the hi-way
75 miles an hour
in a convertible with my radio blaring
searching for the mystical in the real,
wanting to fix things when
they definitely get broken.
I don't get depressed, I get
mad and I'm perplexed as hell packing
a 38 magnum at my hip,
trying to separate friend from foe,
unable to figure out why people
don't like me.
Not really sure if I care.
Knowing even if you don't
that ultimately all goes outward.
Nothing collapses.
Believing in the best in you
till I experience
the worst.


Scott Malby

Posted over on Unlikely Stories

No comments: