Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Biker Boy


Biker Boy

Ever notice when you lean your bicycle
up against a brick wall in the late afternoon
when the sun wants to French kiss metal—
the deep dark shadow from the front tire
creates a heart as it meets itself
where sidewalk collides with wall?

Puts me in mind of a simpler time
when a bicycle had gender
and the fat tires had tubes in them.
Those bikes had one speed,
varying only with the strength
in your legs and the terrain.

Yeah, back in those bad old 50’s
when boomers rode their first vehicles,
we did so bravely; without helmets.
Remember those rich kids who had to ride
English racers, with 3-speeds,
narrow-assed seats
and funny looking handlebars?

My blue collar bike had white wall tires
and a saddle bag for my tuna sandwiches
and heavy school books.
Man, I was the coolest.

What the hell happened to that kid?


Glenn Buttkus November 2009

5 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Freaking awesome poem!!!!!

Judy Maurer said...

He's still there. Can't you feel him deep down inside?
My bike had a big basket on the front. I think saddle bags would have been cooler.

Judy

Guy Marsh said...

What did happen to those last 50 plus years?

Bud

Susan Gilmour said...

Yes, your bike poem knocked me off my bike stand while I too reminisced about the early days of my own rolling adventures. It jogged my memory back to 1954 and 1955.

Susan

Ron Boothe said...

Always like your poetry, but this one I loved! I might frame it.

Ron