Thursday, August 26, 2010

House Hunter


House Hunter

"Old houses
like old gardens
can be brought back
to life, and often are
with new occupants"

There are those amongst us who believe
that as we struggle with our first few
gasps of Heaven, wearing our past like
tattered rags, we all desperately conjure
up houses that we once lived in;
extant and vibrant in every detail,
down to the thumb tack holes and crayon
art on the walls, complete with odors
and scars, familiar yet sad and empty,
void of voices, without pets and pests.

I visit the houses of my life in my
mind daily, shuffling them like a pack
of Tarot cards, for I lived in a full
pack, raised as urban nomad, barely
able to unpack my comic books before
it was time again to strike the circus
tents, and get into the caravan on the
move to the next adventure, the next
house.

Their names and faces are all there;
Ballard, Georgetown, Burien, White
Center, West Seattle, Renton, Kent,
Covington, Lynnwood, and Lake City;
all with different houses, different
schools, different challenges--ever
the renters; never claiming ownership
of wood or tile or turf or brick or
garden.

If that were not enough, now I drive
about the Northwest chasing ghosts,
with my arthritic hands gripping firmly
on the steering wheel, searching for
those houses I keep dreaming about,
knowing that somehow I lived in them
once too, in other dimensions, in other
lifetimes--and oddly they are the
abandoned hulks that call to me,
not the myriad brick-a-bract domiciles
of my shimmering youth.

Glenn Buttkus August 2010

Posted as #35 over on Magpie Tales #29

15 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Okay. I'm in love. (with your poetry) This one's exquisite. Dovetails nicely with my piece.

Doctor FTSE said...

Very well worked out idea, making a poem worth going through carefully more than once

Deborah said...

I simply LOVE your writing, I seem to read it in a certain voice in my head that comes from knowhere and propels me through it ... just Brilliant!

Deborah said...

oops ... NO where !! :o)

Lane Savant said...

I kind of like "knowhere", has a Joycean ring to it.

Susannah said...

Wonderful writing.

Tess Kincaid said...

Re your comment, "...a thistle that always lurks under the shirt, wanting to morph what you see into what you write"

Love this. And so appropriate for today, since I had an episode in the garden, where I jumped out of my pants and gave them a hard flap. Out fell the biggest, fuzziest bumblebee I've ever seen. I'd much rather have a poetic thistle, than a bee in my pants any day.

20,000 films?! You should be glad I don't live close by. You'd never get rid of me.

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderful. It's a poetic novella - a life shown by vivid imagery. Love it.

signed...bkm said...

Love it a great and unique read...bkm

Anonymous said...

I dream about those places too. Often. Seeing them in my mind's eye before they present themselves to me in life.

Wonderful post.

CJ xx

Berowne said...

Imaginative and creative idea.

Brian Miller said...

wow. incredible write...and well thought through...of course i rather like the batman header as well..smiles. nice magpie!

Kathe W. said...

I especialy like the line
"myriad brick-a-bract domiciles
of my shimmering youth."
Wow!

Arne Zaslove said...

Quite lovely. Revisiting houses in reality or in dreams is very good for the soul.

David Gilmour said...

Good idea for reminiscence, "houses I have haunted," some of which are barely memorable except by the town's name.

DG