Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Shoo-Fly Shuffle



image from vector4all.net


Shoo-Fly Shuffle

“I still have my feet on the ground--I just wear
better shoes.”--Oprah Winfrey.

Don’t know why,
but last night I had me
a whopper of a shoe dream;
shoes on parade,
but the fashion show
was all jabberwocky.

I’m telling you there were
horse flies wearing horse shoes,
weimaraners wearing winklepickers, 
all pointy-toed & rock starfish,
turncoats in turnshoes &
medieval topcoats, 
tan yachtsmen in mango toeshoes,
silver salamanders in steel-toed boots,
pygmy elephants in elevator shoes,
garden slugs wearing saddle shoes,
wharf rats in tiny ruby slippers.
young oxen in oxfords,
lazy lizards in mink loafers,
paunchy leprechauns in hairy pampooties,
red roosters in Russian boots,
jack rabbits in polished jack boots,
howling hyenas in high heels,
Mexican monkeys in mauve moccasins,
juniper bugs in jazz shoes,
and clown fish in Dori’s.

Footwear is diverse,
though barefooting is still fun

in fields of clover. 


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

9 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

Where do you get all these fabulous quotes, Glenn? I've never had a shoe dream but yours was fun! I had rather long giggle, especially at the:
'silver salamanders in steel-toed boots,
pygmy elephants in elevator shoes';
'wharf rats in tiny ruby slippers';
'lazy lizards in mink loafers';
and
'jack rabbits in polished jack boots'!

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice collection of diverse characters wearing shoes. I liked this one in particular: "horse flies wearing horse shoes"

De Jackson said...

Oh my goodness! This is a whole huge CLOSET full of fun wordplay, quirky shoe names, and awesomeness. Love it, Glenn.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Bravo. Bravo.
I was enthralled by your poetic ballet of shoes
and dreaming
and learning of new shoes
like hairy pampooties and dori's
and wonderful characters like
paunchy leprechauns and juniper bugs
and, oh, what a delicious delight of a dream to be in.
Grand poetry;
a grand ballet.

Randy

PS Did i say I liked it? I did so much. I did.

indybev said...


What delicious fun this is! I especially like the wharf rats in their tiny red slippers. Very Clever. Bravo

tonispencer said...

My goodness what a parade of shoes! This was a fun read and romp. But all I could think of was what, no Joan Crawford Come Fuck Me shoes? Loved this.

brudberg said...

Oh I love this hilarious parade, love them all. But I do agree that barefoot is great too.

Margaret said...

Fun imagining the combinations! The last ode to barefoot is sweet!

Alison H said...

pygmy elephants in elevator shoes,...chortle.... is there such a thing as pygmy elephants? off to google it...XX