Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Blackthorne--Scene 71



image from pinterest.com 


Blackthorne

Cinemagenic Seventy-One

Hostage

“When you have a child, the world has a 
hostage.”--Ernest Hemingway.

1(sound cue) harmonica & accordion. 
2(two-shot) Salina, over Wallace’s shoulder:
I am my father’s daughter.
Wallace, smiling : It’s just that you can’t close
your eyes, click your heels, and Thor disappears.
His kind of mean hangs in like colic. I think you 
should give some thought as to how to straighten
things out.
3(close-up) Salina : OK, Pop. I figured I would cross
that little bridge when I get to it.
4(medium close-up) Wallace : Damn, girl, you should
be fixing to find a way to let him down easy. He is not
used to being told No.
5(voice over) Salina: Well, there’s a first time for 
everything--followed by a chuckle.
6(sound cue) piano & harmonica.
7(cut to medium wide shot/exterior) An old buckboard
reined up out front. Johnny Eagle was driving it. A 
young black mustang jerked against his harness and 
the tall gray mule alongside him. Rod Buck pulled up
and stepped down off his huge roan. Wallace walked 
out on the porch, squinting into the east as golden rays
began to edge up over the sign on the CHINA DOLL.
Wallace wiped his liver-spotted calloused hands on his
clean apron.
8(three-shot) Wallace: Nice to see you. Did you run out
of chuck?
Buck: Among other things.
Wallace: Hey, John--then turned on his heel as the
Eagle returned his greeting with a silent nod.
Buck stepped up onto the porch: Do you want to 
come in, old brother?
Johnny: Not today, boss. I think I will wander down to
the cantina and shoot the buzzard shit with Mateo.
Buck: I’ll join you there later.
The Eagle jumped down from the wagon; Buck 
watched him making his way along the dusty street, 
watched how straight he carried himself, how his 
shoulder and arm muscles rippled as he walked.
9(sound cue) guitar & coronet.
10(two-shot) Wallace was in the doorway : So
what do you need on this fine morning?
Buck: I’ll need some paint for one--stepping into
the store behind Wallace--What have you got?
10(medium wide shot) Salina was still at the fabric
table. She straightened up and stared at Buck, not
pretending to work.
11(voice over) Wallace: What quantity & color?
12(close up) Buck: Enough to paint a rainbow on
your crapper.
13(two-shot) Salina, over Buck’s shoulder: What a 
colorful way of speaking. Good morning, Mr. Buck.
Buck: Good morning, Miss Salina.
Salina: Does Johnny Eagle work for you now? 
Buck: That’s what he tells me.
Wallace (as voice over) Blue, black, red, white and
green--a fine selection.
Salina: Fixing up the old place?
Buck: We stay in the bunkhouse for now. The house
needs a ton of work. After I get things presentable,
you might could come out for a visit.
Salina, smiling warmly: Yes, I might could.
14(sound cue) violin & flute.
15(two-shot) She returned to her fabric bolts. He 
spent an awkward moment considering what to say 
next when Wallace inquired:  What colors?
16(sound cue) heavy boot steps just before the front 
door swung open, awakening the bee hive of bells.
The Eagle rushed in, a bit out of breath: Boss, I think
you need to come with me right now.
17(three-shot) Buck: Hey, fierce one. I haven’t 
ordered anything yet--nor have I had time to ask
Miss Salina for a date.
18(medium close-up) Another smile from the lady.
19(two-shot) Buck: Just tell Mateo to wait a few 
minutes.
Johnny: It’s Chatawa.
Buck turned and the two men tramped out of the 
store. Wallace shrugged his shoulders & followed
them to the doorsill. A large crowd had gathered

down at the auction corrals.


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub OLN

17 comments:

brudberg said...

I love that you continue the story and I see new problem brewing with the lady and that Thor... Action and tension, can hardly wait for the next installment.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly gripping! I can feel the tension building in this one. Awaiting the next installment with bated breath!

Kim M. Russell said...

Great quote, Glenn, and I'm so pleased to read another episode of Blackthorne - and I enjoyed seeing Selina behind the counter.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

An excellent cliffhanger to close!
I remember children's Saturday matinees at the local flicks where we gained entry by paying with jam jars, and Cowboys and Injuns always ended with a cliff-hanger.
My reading then, apart from James Bond, was always cowboy books.
Anna :o]

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

liver-spotted calloused hands, and this: His kind of mean hangs in like colic. Oh yes...a mother knows how very mean that it! What a great way to say it here. Your scenes always amaze me...I SEE them as I read them. Paintin' a rainbow crapper - hah!
The image from pinterest (I think?) is a great one. You always leave us on tiptoe, looking over to see what will happen next! :)

Grace said...

Salina's presence is giving this a nice twist and tension, smiles ~ Wonder what its all about but I am hoping to see more of the woman in the coming chapters ~

tonispencer said...

I like Salina. Good to see a woman in this!

Vivian Zems said...

I really got into this....and then- a cliff -hanger!

said...

I had a Mateo once. That warmed my heart. :)

This was my favorite part:

"Hey, fierce one. I haven’t
ordered anything yet--nor have I had time to ask
Miss Salina for a date."

Claire said...

I'm late to the party on this one so I am not familiar with the characters. Compelling, though!

Susan Anderson said...

I haven't read one of these for ages. I'd forgotten how compelling they are!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Hi Glenn
I attempted to email you regarding your kind comment, but nothing happened, so I will write here now.
In view of your kind thoughtful concerned comment (and of Frank's), I have added a note to the post as explanation of my words.
I send big hugs to you too!
The kindest of regards
Anna :o]

Frank Hubeny said...

I'm curious where Chatawa came from. Interesting that will get him out of the store.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Frank, Chatawa is a great Appaloosa stallion that's stolen from Buck by Cash Bronson--this being the 71st episode of this series, it's hard to remember, or get caught up on the plot particulars. At one point I did a complete review on the first 63 episodes on OLN, but even that fell short of keeping everyone current, All 71 episodes are posted here in my archives if you are curious. Thanks for your interest. This saga, transcribed from my own novel turns out t be a several year endeavor.

Frank J. Tassone said...

Riveting! Love how you switch off between staging, dialogue and general scene-setting!

Truedessa said...

I am so glad I stopped by. How did I miss this one? I too like Salina she is a strong character with a mind of her own. I think she creates tension amongst the men. haha..

Well, there’s a first time for everything--followed by a chuckle. 6(sound cue) piano & harmonica. You always pick the perfect instruments.

The ending is suspenseful and leaves me wanting to read more.

Anonymous said...

Tell us more about Mateo.