Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Petal Pusher




image from fineartamerica.com


Petal Pusher

“When the flower blossoms, the bee will come.”
--Srikumar Rao.

You could easily be my apple blossom, even 
though you mother is basil. I need to see
a red carnation in your golden hair,
and a daisy in the corner of your mouth,
as I present to you, wrapped in white silk,
purple lilacs.

Do not make me embrace those marigolds,
as I clutch a red rose and black tulip
in my left hand as I bow before you.
For me you are ever the white lily, and I
am the faithful grass beneath your feet.

Know that there is nothing of my intentions
that smacks of foxglove. My sweet words
are all iris and ivy, as my soul sports 
bluebell glee.

Please cherish the orange blossoms in
the scarf at your tiny waist, and shun the
deadly nightshade the lurks nearby. Wear
white clover in your lace bodice, and allow
me to be the pansy for you. Consider this
my bravest iris pinned to your plum tree.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

13 comments:

sarah said...

I see what you mean about code! I read it and enjoyed it, and then went back to my own prompt (!) and read it again with the secret messages in mind, and enjoyed it even more. This is exactly how I imagine the flower language was used back when it was in vogue. It adds depth and pleasure. There's probably a joke in there, but you know what I mean.

brudberg said...

This is a wonderful tribute to love... a wonderful bidding from beau to his belle.
As Sarah says ... a little tongue in cheek is also needed in any relationship

Vivian Zems said...

This is perfection Glenn! A beautiful interpretation. I laughed at the basil mother😅

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice lines: "For me you are ever the white lily, and I
am the faithful grass beneath your feet."

said...

Good heavens, this is hot.

jo said...

This is lovely and complex!

Grace said...

Such a dazzling and delightful bouquet of flowers, blooming in all its glorious beauty and declaration of love Glenn~ This is my favorite part:

For me you are ever the white lily, and I am the faithful grass beneath your feet.

Dwight L. Roth said...

Nice use of all those flower meanings throughout!

Kim M. Russell said...

I like the alliterative, playful title, Glenn, and the quotation, which hints at the tone of your poem. I love the way you've used such a wide variety of flowers in your bouquet to compose a complete message!

lynn__ said...

Clever title for such a fragrant love letter from a Victorian gentleman...that's the way to woo!

Anmol (HA) said...

AH, this is a delightful love letter - something to cherish and behold in times of despair or even in case of a basil mother. The flowers and the emotions go so well together. It's a bodice of multiple hues and shades of love.
-HA

Pat R said...

I love, love this. That first line had me laughing out loud. Love the 'code' of it all. Well done!

Pat

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Ah Glenn......you petal pusher you! :) So you're trying to overcome that basil mother (and she would become the stereo-typical mother-in-law's tongue if you do!) ----- professing your love with this beautiful bouquet of coded language :)
Most especially loving this line "I present to you, wrapped in white silk, purple lilacs." A wonderful write to the prompt! :)