Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Blackthorne Episode 151



image from westerncovers.com 

Blackthorne


Cinemagenic 151


Embraces


“The grave is a fine and private place, but not one I 

seek to embrace.”--Andrew Marvell .


1(two-shot) Buck opens his eyes, blinks, groans 

and tries to sit up.

Salina: Take it easy, big guy.

2(sound cue) piano and violins.

Buck, in a hoarse voice: Where am I?

Henry Wallace, leaning into the frame: You’re at my

fishing cabin along the Red River.

Buck: Am I dreaming?

Salina bent over and kissed him gently.

Buck: Yup, I’m dreaming.

The three of them laughed nervously, with Buck

coughing at the end.

Buck: If you are going to kiss things to make them

better, pucker up--we’re going to be here all day.

Salina: Now behave.

3(sound cue) awkward silence, then cellos.

4(close-up) Buck: I didn’t think I’d make it.

5(three-shot) Wallace: You damn near didn’t.

Salina: No one bothered to tell the Devil that you

were dancing on the edge. 

Buck smiled.

Salina: You’ve been in a coma for five days.

Buck: Really? Then why don’t I feel more rested?

Again, the nervous laughter.

Buck: Christ, I feel like I was run over by a stage

coach, and stomped by the whole team.

Salina: I won’t tell you what you look like.

Buck: Like death warmed over?

Salina: Worse.

Buck: Well, come on, somebody comb my hair.

Salina snorted.

Wallace: You are alive, thanks Jesus.

Buck: I’ll be sure to do that when I get a moment. 

I guess I about wore out those angels on my shoulder.

Salina: Let’s say you definitely put a cramp in their

wings, for sure.

Buck: Why am I not arrested?

Salina: That’s a long tale for another time, a work

in progress. Just know, as far as we can tell, no

one is after you at the moment.

Buck: How can that be?

Salina: chuckling,”Honey, you blew the lid off the

whole damn town. 

Buck: And that’s a good thing?

Wallace: Looks like it might work out that way. It’s

the strangest situation I’ve ever seen.

Buck: I’m all ears.

Salina: Later, sweetheart. In the meantime, you 

leave all the worrying to me.

Buck: sighing, I can do that.

He closed his eyes and was immediately asleep.

Salina and her father exchanged small smiles.



Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub OLN

5 comments:

forestbather said...

I am great, great fan if dialogue moving tale, verse, story, poetry forward...the speech here flows naturally, with wise quips and consoled souls ...really does work for that...

Ingrid said...


Nice to know he pulled through...now I'm wondering, whatever next?

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

I think I may have missed a few installments...but I'm SOOO glad Salina is back on the scene. I'm always rooting for her and Buck to hitch up (pun intended). Love this line most especially:
"Salina: No one bothered to tell the Devil that you were dancing on the edge. "
You have a real talent for this, Glenn.
And I'm so sorry OLN got screwed up tonight. Would have been fun to hear your read this...somehow your voice is just perfect for presenting this tale.

Brendan said...

This six-shooter symphony has how many movements? Loved the Marvell epigraph, it hangs a Renaissance star over this Western sky.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely fabulous! I am so relieved that Buck made it out alive, and am interested in knowing what Salina isn't telling him at the moment ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’