Thursday, October 23, 2008

Blankets



Blankets

I have always loved sleeping
more
than I have ever loved
people

but all that changed when I slept with you. No. That all changed
after you left me and I discovered America was all about how
much I missed sleeping with you. Now, everything is different

even the blankets
I shared with you
in this bed
I said was just like the rest
of the world
because you, the white
flopped your arms and legs everywhere
and took all the room
and left me, the Indian
with just a small space
in the northwest corner

and now, sleeping alone, I have discovered America is too large,
too full of possibilities. Because of you, I sometimes believe the
Ghost Dancers were only half right. It's true we need the buffalo
back but we need the whites, too. At least, I need you

to cover me
like a good blanket
with warmth and faith,
I need you to cover me
like a smallpox blanket
with anger and pain.
I need you to cover me
like a giveaway blanket
with honor and grace.

Sherman Alexie............from THE FIRST INDIAN ON THE MOON

No comments: