Thursday, April 29, 2010

Alone


Alone


I never thought Michiko would come back
after she died. But if she did, I knew
it would be as a lady in a long white dress.
It is strange that she has returned
as somebody’s dalmatian. I meet
the man walking her on a leash
almost every week. He says good morning
and I stoop down to calm her. He said
once that she was never like that with
other people. Sometimes she is tethered
on the lawn when I go by. If nobody
is around, I sit on the grass. When she
finally quiets, she puts her head in my lap
and we watch each other’s eyes as I whisper
in her soft ears. She cares nothing about
the mystery. She likes it best when
I touch her head and tell her small
things about my days and our friends.
That makes her happy the way it always did.


Jack Gilbert

Posted over on Alice Under Skies

2 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Wonderful!!

I think it's true!!

xo

Blue Bunny said...

my jannie seys in a forrmer life i must have bin a cookie, i so sweete!!

xo