Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Foretaste of Spring

Image by Friko


A Foretaste of Spring


Of course it's not Spring,
but a day like today could almost
make me believe that it won't be long now,
which means that seed packets
are becoming interesting again.

Gardener came this morning,
for the first time this year;
working hard made us ignore the cold wind.
A woollen hat, a warm fleece kept off the worst of it.
The sun shone brightly,
lighting up dark and dismal hidden corners.

We pruned and chopped and cut back
all day; rotting and dead vegetation
is now on the compost heap.
Any pruning that has been put off
should be done this month.
Bundles of pea sticks are waiting to prop up
herbaceous perennials later in Spring.

I am surprised at how long I lasted,
a full day of serious gardening always leaves me
completely worn out, with aching limbs,
sore knees and a back as bent as that of an old crone.
Which I am, of course.
The first day after a long winter spent
slaving over a book or a blog is the worst.

Gardener told Beloved
"I should have made it a half day,
to break her in gently".

Friko

Posted as prose over on her site Friko's World
Line breaks by Glenn Buttkus.

No comments: