Monday, September 3, 2012

Erato



painting by filippino lippi.


Erato

Hey, it’s Labor Day again, reminding some of us
who have been relentless in our former servitude
that “retirement” becomes more than alluring
as we start each day needing to gobble a handful
of pharmaceuticals,

although Prozac is no longer among the colorful array
of infallible medicinals since we were pleasantly
surprised to discover that the complete curtailment
of our past vocational obligations was the actual cure
for free-floating depression,

that and a freshly evolving wit evidenced and emblazoned
on our knight-errant banners flapping from our bike fenders,
as we awaken daily more energetic and driven than ever,
anxious to strap ourselves into another adventure with
our newly purchased electronics, happy to entangle
ourselves into a hive of internet fellowship that actually
touches every corner of this shrinking planet,

although I have become mistrustful of anyone
who resides in or near Pittsburgh, for those folks
seem to consider my personal creativity as
a feckless endeavor, and that cretin-al judgement
is just not acceptable to this old poet,

for truth is where you find it, if you recognize it,
but the accurate interpretation of that truth
can be achieved without soliciting 
the surgical services of some literary internist, 
those conniving cajoling consumptive critics,
or the blessings of a priest,
or the machinations of a politician, 
or the baptism of fire;

just look beyond the surface of the mirror
to the beautiful soul that shines
through your retired eyes.

Glenn Buttkus

September 2012

Posted over on Shawna's Flipside Records
Posted over on dVerse Poets OLN60

Would you like to hear the author read this poem to you?


9 comments:

Glenn Buttkus said...

My connection with DivShare is holding me back from transcribing and embedding the narration; it will be added whenever the program frees up.

flipside records said...

I love Stanzas 2, 5, and 6. So funny, Glenn. :) It's nice to read of retirement being good for someone. From what I've seen of my parents, it hastens illness to allow the body and mind to slow down, even in the slightest increments.

Thank you for writing for me again! I always enjoy your work.

Brian Miller said...

cant wait to retire...wait i probably will never be able to...ha....no pittsburgh, i rather like pittsburgh but not if they are going to treat you that way...did some missions work in pitt....nice monastery on the hill....always great to look a little deeper at the soul inside...

Claudia said...

anxious to strap ourselves into another adventure with
our newly purchased electronics, happy to entangle
ourselves into a hive of internet fellowship that actually
touches every corner of this shrinking planet...this and the closure were my fav parts...somedays i wish i were already retired but then...when you mention the meds...smiles..

sharonlee said...

Perhaps some of this was lost on me, being from down under... but I felt the sentiment.

Profound lines in this.

robkistner said...

Ain't it so, ain't it so... though, sometimes Glenn, when I gaze into my 'retired' eyes all I see are Ghosts...

Leslie said...

for truth is where you find it, if you recognize it,
but the accurate interpretation of that truth
can be achieved without soliciting
the surgical services of some literary internist...

A comedian and philosopher bundled in one
Ah that's what retirement is for to try out new life forms

Anonymous said...

For me, retirement has been such a huge myth. I love this--total resonnance!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Love this Glenn - so much truth in it.

Retirement may be looming for me but I intend to ignore its call, just as I ignore the call of pills for all ills to line Big Pharma's pockets.

Anna :o]