Monday, January 17, 2022

To Be Bookless



image by Buttkus 

To Be Bookless


“You cannot  stroll through a meadow full of flowers,

breathe those smells, see those colors and remain

angry. You will just support the beauty, the poetry

of life.”--Jonas Mekas.


You, my dear, are a voracious reader. Every spare 

moment I find you with nose in a book. You have

read hundreds during our three decades together.

It is more than an interest or hobby. For you it’s

like meditation. Sometimes I get a bit jealous of

those books when I crave your attention.


So, thank you for consenting to spend a day with

me, a getaway to a mountain meadow. We  shall

picnic, sitting on a checkered blanket. We will

count clover leaves, enjoy the wildflowers, chase

butterflies, and dance with angel’s breath in our

hair. We might even make love.


I only ask that that on this day, you stay focused

on each precious moment, on my smile and my

touch--and bring no book, for this one day we’ll 

give to idleness, and the rekindling of love.



Glenn Buttkus


Prosery


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

13 comments:

Ingrid said...

Beautiful, Glenn! Very much thinking along the same lines for this prompt, although viewed from a different angle!

ben Alexander said...

this is so very sweet, Glenn! just lovely.

-David [ben Alexander]

Merril D. Smith said...

Lovely, Glenn. You channeled your inner Wordsworth. It sounded very nineteenth-century.

JadeLi said...

Such beautiful prosery. I do understand the meditative aspect of reading like that. I love his gentle pleading to have her all to himself in the meadow for a day. How could anyone resist?

forestbather said...

This startedwith real philosophy, and brought us into deep love and sensuality - when I say philosophy I am always so very interested in the role of the reader, and particularily in poetry, for if the reader is given the liberty to interpret the poem how he/she wants, does the poem now, at the very least, in part, belong to him/her...surely........I always really like that blend between literature and nature...so enjoyed this all the more, it was succint, so words were dosed well, and it became very personal, and intimate...very good..

forestbather said...

Yikes! 'during out three decades' - typo Glenn..

robkistner said...

Very tender and romantic Glenn. You don’t show this side of yourself too frequently. Excellent piece my friend.

Mrityunjay Dixit said...

So romantic! Loved it.

Dwight L. Roth said...

A beautiful story, Glenn. Sounds like a great prescription for renewal of romance!

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Absolutely beautifully done, Glenn! I can imagine the person who reads and reads....and then the shift to the serenity of just being together....and I love the last line.

brudberg said...

So marvelous to spend time like that, but sometimes I find it real comforting sitting in nature reading together... maybe I have real difficulties with idleness...

Sunra Rainz said...

What a shame I didn't run into you on our mass picnic outing, Glenn! A lovely write :-)

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

This is so beautiful and romantic Glenn.