Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Sesquipedalians Rule



from gettyimages 

Sesquipedalians Rule


“Give a silent man a pen and a piece of paper.”

--Criss Jami.


Some folks

who bump into

a strange new word

become bumfuzzled.


Most poets, however

are stricken with forelsket,

and just can’t wait 

to look the word up.


Once the interloper

is defined,

they embrace 

merak, and the universe

has a scintilla of joy.


It is not that we eniteo.

or achieve enlightenment,

but we do feel

the stir of susurrus

as we close our eyes

that are awash with phospenes.

Then we connect

to our orenda, becoming

an outlaw of the sensorium.


Later,

by the sea,

as we stare

into a empyrean sky

rife with fire,

witnessing the sun

dipping behind the flat horizon,

we reside, temporarily

at our querencia,  and we feel

a bit alliferous

as we levitate.




Glenn Buttkus 


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

11 comments:

Candy said...

You are an overachiever, Glenn! Makes me feel a little timorous

Mish said...

You embraced each one, tucking them in so discreetly. I like the "stir of susurrus" and use of "eniteo".

JadeLi said...

Glenn, I was flipping back and forth to the post to understand. You do understand and inhabit the joyous realm of the logolepsist. This was fun, like putting a puzzle together.

Grace said...

Poets rule, smiles. Love the part specially when we are connected to our orenda and residing at our querencia. Whew, you got them!

robkistner said...

You shot down a bunch of these birds Glenn. Wonderful write my friend. I found myself going back and forth between your piece and the dVerse sitd so that I might follow the gist. Well done brother, well done… 👍🏼🙂✌🏼❤️

Kim M. Russell said...

Great title and quote, Glenn, to match the poem, which made me smile and nod. Unlike folks who are bumfuzzled by new words, I can only embrace them. I love them. I studied linguistics at university, so I suppose it’s stayed with me. I also follow a fellow linguist on Twitter, Suzie Dent, who shares an unusual word and its meaning every day. She’d appreciate this prompt too!

Kerfe said...

Words do indeed give us wings.

Jenna said...

I love your poem, as I was one who felt "stricken with forelsket" upon reading all the beautiful, new words!

Gillena Cox said...

OMG!!! I wish i had written that

Much💛love

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Most especially love the 4th stanza!

paeansunplugged said...

Oh, wow! Glenn, you totally owned this prompt. Brilliant writing.