Saturday, April 26, 2008

Atlantian Minutia


Atlantian Minutia

The tide has pulled out
to a magnificent
soul-baring
minus 1.74,
and the receding water
leaves some
of the ocean’s most
wonderful creatures
exposed
and vulnerable.

The most colorful
are the Ochre Sea Stars,
who pile on top
of each other
in orgiastic glee.

The greenest secret
of this underworld
is the surfgrass,
resulting
in an Oceanic Ireland,
only revealed
a few hours
each month.

The first time
I ever saw
this sight,
I was stunned
by how vibrant
and land-like
these tough masses
of long slippery plants
were.

Like an intimate conversation
with a lover,
who unexpectedly
shares something personal
and heartfelt
about themselves,
it is unspeakably special
to be allowed
to view
the private treasures
which lie beneath
the sea’s shiny,
liquid veneer.

Everything
that can be seen here
is normally
many feet underwater!

There is something
absolutely precious
about being given
the gift of seeing
those usually hidden
aspects
of the sea.

Alex Shapiro January 2006

3 comments:

Glenn Buttkus said...

Man, the combination of this picture, this visual treat, with Alex's poetry is overwhelming. It moves me, pulling up the languid corners of my old lips. I put this poem together from some comments she made about a stroll on the beach in Malibu in January 2006, on the 30th, the last day, of her first month of writing this tremendous blog site of hers. The universe has such wonders in store for us to share, if we but see.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

Hello Glenn, I'm keeping my word. Here I r \o/ bright and chipper trying to ignore the pollen, stuffed head and stiff joints.

Wow, you've painted a beautiful picture of this Oceanic Ireland, Glenn, and the picture accompanying the poem is exquisitely rich - one can even see a little "sea horse" reminder in the lower part of the pic. I'm sure you noticed it - quite subliminal yet powerful when noticed. You've created a beautiful poem that will put a smile on Alex's face..:)

Lane Savant said...

The world is full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.

R.L. Stevenson.

I've got to get down to the aquarium one of these days soon.