Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Long Shadow


Painting by Lorna Dillon

The Long Shadow

I can see your straight back, astride ol’ Sonny
And the red suspenders you wore;
In your beat-up, sweat-stained, worn-out hat,
With Bowser and Elmer in tow.
You praised Gramma’s biscuits, hard n’ brown,
Although you could barely choke them down.
You pestered her while she peeled th’ spuds
An’ brought her tin cans of lilac buds.

You teased and tickled her, prodded an’ more,
‘Til she gave up an’ chased you out the back door.
You’d stand there grinning, on the porch in the rain,
Planning the next move in your campaign.
I loved listenin’ when the two of you laughed…..
You’d bring her lace hankies when you sold a calf.
You never said love words, not that we could hear
But the look in your eyes spoke ‘em out clear.

You taught from example from all you had learned
The ‘do’s and don’ts’ where true love’s concerned…..
When Gramma grew old and her sight got worse,
You didn’t treat her like she needed a nurse.
We’d get up early, put th’ dogs in th’ truck,
Hope for sunshine and a little good luck.
Remember how Elmer would stand as her guard,
A grizz finding her would go down hard.

We’d drive to her fav’rite berryin’ hill,
Way up in the woods by the old mill.
She’d sit in the sun on the Navajo rug,
Pickin’ huckleberries and brushing off bugs.
With that old dog and a jug of spring water,
Happier than if you had just brought her
A crown of fine jewels and new-minted gold,
And all the fine things both arms could hold.

If I’ve given others the love you gave me
The patience, the wisdom, the strength,
If I’ve lived most of my life in your mold,
If I’ve reached out to measure your length…..
An’ if I walk just a little bull-legged,
When I saddle my horse in the cold,
It’s only because, Grampa, I want to be
Exactly like you when I’m old.

Copyright © Byrd Woodward

No comments: