Monday, September 15, 2008

The Adventuress


Photograph by Alex Shapiro.

Alex is off again, travelling, planning, setting up meetings--back to Manhattan. She has this travel arc from the San Juans to LA and over to New York City and back. Perhaps it is she that is the Adventuress.

Glenn

The Adventuress

This morning it’s back
to New York City for meetings and,
with luck, some Tandoori cooking.
I love Indian food,
and of the remarkable number
of culinary choices
here on this island,
that’s one country
that has yet to be represented.

I wish I were taking
the gorgeous gaff-rigged schooner,
Adventuress,
the long way around:
down the scenic Pacific coast,
through the locks of the Panama canal,
into the Caribbean
dodging hurricanes
(or not, these days)
and up the Atlantic waterways.

But instead of course,
I’ll be in one of those
cute mini-planes
featured in earlier posts,
and then transfer
to a less-than-cute maxi-plane to JFK.

Two days ago
I was at sea
on a whale watching boat,
and we crossed paths,
Adventuress and I,
on the way back to shore
at day’s end.

It was a wonderful day
in the presence of the Orcas,
including a new calf,
some Steller sea lions,
and my entertaining friend,
Russell,
who is a marine docent
in the summer months.

I’ve been hard at work
on a number of new recordings,
and taking breaks
to venture outdoors
and commune with
all the wildlife around me,
has become essential
to my sanity.
That’s of course
making the broad assumption
that I had any sanity
to begin with.

See you all
over the weekend
when I’m back
from my small,
native island of Manhattan,
to the island
about twice as large
which I now call home.

Alex Shapiro September 2008

No comments: