Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Lady Prepares

Image from Manleyaudio

A Lady Prepares



1.
Seattle,

during twilight,

purrs with soft evening noises;

traffic lights suddenly brilliant,
blinking;

headlights in chrome grills

snapping on;

street lights buzzing

just before they bathe the ground
with amber incandescence;

superferries
 gliding
through darkening water

flicking on their deck lights.



For a few golden moments

all the western windows catch fire,

and the shimmering orange icons

captured coldly

on the urban faces of glass,

silently lick at the ebony loins

of the night.



A city of shadows,

perching on those seven hills,

turns on,

and the deep saltwater bay at its feet

becomes a vast mirror

reflecting

the garishly-lit steel canyons

of its unique skyline.



2.
Seattle,

during twilight,

purrs with soft
evening noises;
 traffic lights
suddenly brilliant, blinking;
headlights in

chrome
grills
 snapping
on;
 street lights
buzzing
 just before they
bathe the ground with amber

incandescence;

superferries
 gliding
through darkening water

flicking on their deck
lights.

 Then for a few

golden
moments
 all
the western windows
catch fire,
 and the
shimmering orange icons
 captured coldly


on
the urban
faces of glass,

silently lick at the
ebony loins
 of the night.



A
city of
shadows,
 perching on
those seven hills,
 turns
on,
 and the deep saltwater

bay
at its
feet
 becomes a
vast mirror
 reflecting
 the
garishly-lit steel canyons
 of

its
unique skyline.




Glenn Buttkus October 2010

Listed as #11 on Magpie Tales 36




Would you like the Author to read this poem to you?

12 comments:

Mary said...

Glenn, I am familiar with Seattle by having traveled there a number of times. Had not realized here are seven hills. But so much of what you said about Seattle in this poem rings totally true to me. Inspired writing!

Uma Anandane said...

Seattle,
during twilight..well written..now I knew more about that place :)

Tess Kincaid said...

I've only been to Seattle once and when the plane banked and turned toward Mt. Rainier, I thought, "Why am I living in the Midwest?" Beautiful piece.

Diane T said...

Two of my three kids live in Seattle. Well described! I go our often to visit. Your poem is stunning!

Lane Savant said...

One hill has been cut down and dumped into the bay.

Lane Savant said...

To Willow's question; because the storms are magnificent, better than anything Hollywood eve came up with?

Jinksy said...

Words and picture are interwoven here, no mistake...

Tumblewords: said...

Nice. I heart Seattle.

Unknown said...

I've never been to Seattle but good Lord...now I must get there before twilight.

Kristen Haskell said...

There are several lines that just take me straight to a city. I have never been to Seattle but I imagine it from photos and movies.

"Purr with soft evening noises
amber incandescence shimmering orange icons
deep saltwater bay - vast mirror

all western windows catch fire

silently lick at the ebony loins of the night."

My friend, You have made me utterly and completely homesick for my San Diego, as all of those words apply equally to that city.

What wonderful words you have written if I close my eyes I am there! Thank you.

Kathe W. said...

perfectly captured! Bravo!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love the imagery,

a city with noises, people, and more...
beautiful poem!