Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Red Hat Girl In a Garden

Image by Jannie Funster


Red Hat Girl In a Garden

Daughter, a little less
than 3 years before you were born
your maternal grandparents swooped
down here to Texas from Canada
to help me plant
3 palms, 3 crepe myrtles
and 2 variegated pittosporums
in the planter box where
all has grown so tall and lush.

A long way to come to plant a garden –
2700 miles, but it’s never too early
to start planning a garden!
and you know what?
I really like how the little purse
you held yesterday
is the one you carried
as a flower girl in North Carolina
when you were four.

And you know what else I like?
That your grandparents were born,
and I was born, and your dad was born
and everybody else was born
and I like how it’s always spring
somewhere, and always a great day
to love and be loved.

Jannie Funster

Who wrote: By Mom with love on Easter Sunday afternoon as the aroma of roasting prime rib fills the house.

Posted over on her site Jannie Funster

1 comment:

Jannie Funster said...

This poem really sucks!

But I have a feeling its author will post a kick-ass one to her blog next Tuesday afternoon, that's Tuesday may 3rd, 2011

xoxo