Tuesday, August 14, 2018

I am Spartacus




image from thetelevisionpilot.com


I am Spartacus

“We don’t stop going to school when we
graduate.”--Carol Burnett

My  school days
were like being
a worker bee--

I attended 10 elementary schools,,
                   3 junior high schools,
                   3 high schools and
                   3 colleges.

We moved around a lot--mostly because of
my stepfather’s gypsy spirit & his bad temper.
Six months was a long time for him to keep
a job. He was a millwright, and he would find
a new job quickly, but it was always across
town in a new neighborhood.

We were renters,
ruthless and rootless:
Let somebody else worry
about the damned plumbing.

For me, school became
a competitive arena, always
                                 the new kid
                                 in the front row
                                 with my hand up;
having to establish my self
                                  in short order.

Life was tough
around the edges,
and school became
both arena & sanctuary.

I emerged as a type-A personality,
an honor student,
a debater and poet;
bellicose and compassionate,
with one hand extended,
the other with a clenched fist;
both gladiator and seeker.


Fox sat outside the
chicken yard, until he learned
to open the gate.


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

9 comments:

Jane Dougherty said...

I like this insight into your childhood, Glenn and I love that haiku! One of the best poems of yours that I've read.

Amaya said...

Maybe it's just me but I've always found the "tough around the edges" stones far more interesting and beautiful than the refined and polished so-called gems. Your life is fascinating and it sounds like your school life was, as well. But as Ms. Burnett says, it never really does end, does it?

Frank Hubeny said...

I like that part about the fox at the end and these lines with all the "r" sounds: "We were renters,
ruthless and rootless:"

Dwight L. Roth said...

It is great that you were able to find success in school with all of your moving about. Love your haiku at the end.

jo said...

This is great! You tell a vivid story and I especially like this line:
"we were renters, ruthless and rootless."

Kim M. Russell said...

I've learnt so much about you from this poem, Glenn, and I like the apt worker bee simile at the start. You did move around a lot! I really like the lines: '
Life was tough
around the edges';
'bellicose and compassionate,
with one hand extended,
the other with a clenched fist;
both gladiator and seeker'
and the fox haiku is brilliant.

kaykuala said...

Being made to move and anticipating continuing moves would certainly make you better prepared with every succeeding moves. There would have been lots of inconveniences and distractions. But it was also great for character building (as attested to by your excellent credentials) You have your Dad to thank for, Glenn!

Hank

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Oh the fox ending is right on to your post here! And somehow I always knew we were kindred spirits of sorts....I was a high school debater and had a debate scholarship to college -- debated there too. Rare in my day to have female debaters and rarer still for two college women to bring home a big trophy to the small liberal arts college in Illinois by beating USC in the finals! :)
We moved into the house I mainly remember when I was in 3rd grade and I was there through highschool and college summers. I had stable roots that were not stable -- if that makes sense?

Grace said...

I enjoyed this bit of your family history Glenn. You are a tough guy to survive all that moving around and always having to prove yourself all over again. Wishing you a good weekend.