Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Darkness, Darkness




painting from saatchiart.com


Darkness, Darkness

“Confession is always weakness. A grave soul
keeps its own secrets, and takes its own
punishment in silence.”--Dorothy Dix

Why in hell
do we sometimes fall
into the wrong crowd?
Wanting/needing to belong,
                            to be included,
                            to feel secure,
                            to feel superior?

Any of us could stumble
into this tiger trap, when others
appeal to the demons of our worst nature.

My career as a civil servant started out, of course,
with me being the newbie, searching for my place
at the table. In my department there were three
individuals that seemed to run things, had the place
wired, were privileged, outspoken, and had been
there for years.

I worked hard at being accepted by these chaps,
finally succeeding, becoming a member of the gang.
The downside was that the lynchpin was a devious,
divisive, deeply depressed man, who loved to bully
and belittle others. I allowed myself to become very
arrogant, aggressive, apathetic, mean-spirited and
even dishonest--fitting right in.

Years passed, and the Teflon Don
became the Chief of the Clinic, the Boss.
After succumbing to the darkest imps
and marching lock-step to the boss’s
cruelest urges--I awoke
from my pathetic pretense
and refused to be his lieutenant any longer.
I stood up to him, and called him out
for being the manic ape in the corner office,
ersatz dictator, drunkard, druggie, womanizer,
con man, liar and thief that he was.

He became unhinged, launching
a campaign to get me fired,
turning my supposed friends
against me. In the end, somehow
I withstood the shit storm, and kept
my job. The sycophants treated me
as pariah. I persevered for the long haul,
making it to 25 years of service.
As I retired, I emerged true to my self,
but deeply ashamed
of my sojourn into darkness.



Glenn Buttkus

Confessional Poetry

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

14 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly raw and heartfelt. We all have a moment of darkness which we are not fond of.. sigh.

brudberg said...

The urge to belong is a strong one, and one of the strongest signs of weakness I despise in myself... I think (and hope) that I'd rather be bullied than being a bully, but after these last days I don't really know.

Grace said...

We all have those moments of darkness Glenn.

That moment of realization that we need to stand up and speak is a powerful moment. I am glad that you were able to withstand the shit storm and kept your job. Good for you to retire and let your true self emerge.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you went through this, Glenn. It speaks to your character to be able to return day after day and face that atmosphere.

Jade Li said...

Your confession resonates deeply with me. You were in a nest of vipers and it was kill or be killed. You did what you had to to survive. It doesn't mean what you did was right nor honorable but you're still here to tell the tale, and that is no little thing. I'm glad you're here.

Violet Lentz said...

Your honesty, especially with yourself is epic. Thank you for this little window into your world.

rob kistner said...

So easy to get drawn thst way when you are trying to be a long-term member of a team if the prevailing attitude of the team is shit. Congrats for hangin' in there dude!

lynn__ said...

We humans are desperate to fit in! Glad you recognized the sham and stood up to the bully, Glenn.

Anmol (HA) said...

Ah, such experiences can often lead us on this path of darkness, when we forget the goodness of our spirit. It is only human to become someone we were never meant to be, depending on our environment. I loved your confessional narrative which appeals to the universal need to belong.

Kim M. Russell said...

Oh, Glenn, your story is so much like what is happening to my husband at the moment (for the second time). He has a ‘Teflon Don’ in the company he works for, who has been trying to get rid of him for years because David stands up to him. Hurrah for emerging true to oneself.

Frank Hubeny said...

Standing up to the bully may compensate for the "sojourn into darkness" however all that balancing is done.

Sabio Lantz said...

A great confession. Well done. I have never given in to those sorts and so, lost a few jobs early. I wonder if those asses ever got a chance to see through their ways. We written Glenn

Dwight L. Roth said...

A very heartfelt piece! It is easy to get sucked in to the group. Good for you for standing true to yourself and finishing strong! Well done!

Nora said...

I, too, carry shame for the things I've done to fit in. This is the beauty of confessional poetry to me: I know your pain, for I carry it too, and I honor your truth and your strength. Thank you for sharing your hurt with us.