Monday, August 17, 2020

First Time



image from pinterest.com

 First Time


“I offer myself to you as a self indulgent moth, who

has very little fear of the flame--so burn me.”

--Kamand Kojouri.


We’ve all had the “first time”, when virginity is 

sacrificed on the alter of lust; given urgently and

willingly.


It was 1960. I was 15, a sophomore in high school.

Cheryl was in my Creative Writing Class. She liked

me, and admired my writing. One day, she asked me

to walk her home. I was pretty excited. Cheryl was

known as an “easy girl”. She was a buxom, plump

brunette. Her parent were divorced. Her mother 

worked nights.


Ten minutes after getting to her house, while sitting

on the couch, she began to disrobe. We didn’t talk.

She guessed I was a virgin. The intercourse lasted

five minutes. As I skipped home, I thought, “when 

it is over, said and done...it was a time, and there 

never was enough of it.” Six decades later, as my

testosterone ebbs, the memory of Cheryl sweetens.


Glenn Buttkus


Prosery @144 words


Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub

20 comments:

Merril D. Smith said...

I'm not sure if I want to know if this is true or not, but it made me laugh. And that image is perfect.

I'd kind of like to hear Cheryl's side of things though, especially the part about her being known as an "easy girl," while of course the boys are just boys.

Gillena Cox said...

Im smiling. Good for you and Cheryl i hope she hold to the good memories too.
Happy Monday

Much💝love

Sanaa Rizvi said...

First times are indeed unforgettable 😃 I have had many romantic endeavors though never leading up to the point of intercourse. I am old fashioned that way! Love how you have worked the line from Allison Adelle Hedge Coke's poem!💝

robkistner said...

Never seem to get enough time for the old In-out. And still — FUCK TRUMP! :)

Dwight L. Roth said...

This five-minute-man made me smile! How sweet it is/was and your right there is never enough time.

Ken Gierke said...

Something tells me five minutes was a high-end estimate. ;)

Dale said...

Gotta love that first time memory!

Truedessa said...

I don't think we ever forget that first time.

Kerfe said...

You are lucky to have a sweet memory of this event. (K)

brudberg said...

Oh.. this is so sweet. I wonder what Cheryl would say today... where you one of many or maybe the love of her life.

sarah said...

Ah, Cheryl. I wonder what life was like for you?

A different mood from you, Glenn. No politics? I see Rob did it for you! ;)

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the vintage image and the sixties feel of the story, Glenn. I don’t think teenagers agonise as much about their ‘first time’ anymore, or that girls are referred to as ‘easy’. I like that you met in Creative Writing Class. But surely she deserved more than five minutes?

Mrityunjay Dixit said...

Haha love this! Thought I suspect the existence of Cheryl, you've weaved this with such details I really feel she existed.

Jane Dougherty said...

Cheryl was 'easy' was she? You're lucky she wasn't stupid too, but then, that was never the boy's problem, was it?

Misky said...

I'm sitting here, trying to think of what to say. Nope, still drawing a blank. Although apparently you didn't....

Helen said...

It was 1960 for me .... I was a college freshman .... he would be my husband for 22 years. I love this, of course!

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Love this! And I think there's something to be said about 'easy girls'.

indybev said...

This reminded me of a comedian who had a routine about his football team and "easy old Alice". Like everyone, I'd love to hear Cheryl's side of the story, but I certainly enjoyed yours!

Mary Hood said...

The first time is not always a memorable time. Always a lesson and purpose in everything. Creative use of the prompt.

Bill said...

True or not, a memory fit to the time and place. Well done. I enjoyed reading it.