Thursday, August 26, 2021

Kiss Of Death





image from movieposters.com

 Kiss of Death


“Far too easy is the kiss of death; much more

difficult is the embrace of truth.”--Glenn Buttkus


Oh damn scotoma, I do much wonder,

and I do honestly ponder,

how some men, seeing how much

other men suffer when they dedicate

their behaviors to lies, deflection,

political pap and forlorn cries, will,

after they have castigated others

for such harmful follies, become

the argument of their own ignorance

by slurping the kool aid.


Now tis’ brother against brother, husband

against wife, truth against illusion,

as the Republican dagger of deceit

stabs deep, and once pricked, there be

poison on its edges, inducing instant

ignorance, mesmerization, and onerous

obstinance.


Not since slaves were in actual chains,

when cotton was king, and there were

750,000 deaths (nearly matched by today’s

Covid fatalities) in order to sever the head

of Jim Crow and begin centuries of struggle

toward freedom for all, has something like

a plague year murdered more souls,

and blanched the trust between warring

factions.


I tell you, I have known when vaccines were

respected, and diseases were defeated,

and now millions mingle in the false

puissance of Trump’s fevered falsehoods,

literally welcoming Covid like insane lemmings,

facing terrible death as if it were no more than

a bowl of dandelions, embracing maliferous virus

as if it were holy sacrament. I will not allow my

heart to break over their sycophantic stupidity.



Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

13 comments:

indybev said...

An unvaccinated acquaintance, after a rough bout of Covid, narrowly escaping being put on a vent, survived to STILL spout the dangers of vaccine! It's unbelievable. You put it well and succinctly!

Merril D. Smith said...

Well said, Glenn. I totally agree.

Victoria Ceretto-Slotto said...

So reminiscent of the Bard in both voice and intensity. Strong views presented clearly.

said...

I guess I’m who you hate. I think this is beautiful: “facing death as if it were no more than a bowl of dandelions”

robkistner said...

Glenn, one can only hope that stupidity becomes a biological magnet for COVID Delta. That would be a culling I could embrace brother! ๐Ÿ‘

Masa said...

A remarkably powerful bit of theatrical-styled scenery-chewing. I adore the authenticity behind the words, vivid in the intensity of your speech. I applaud your struggle, and I would have indeed been boisterous to have seen it done in person.

Ingrid said...

You express so well the fevered craziness of these times, Glenn!

Gillena Cox said...

Wow! Shakeaspeare must be smiling proud of you in heaven.
Luv the intensity, sincerity and authenticity of your Soliloquy

Much❤love

Dwight L. Roth said...

You have stated it very well Glenn... I can remember as a child being taken to the high school
to get the sugar cube in a little paper cup, that would keep us from getting the dreaded polio that was running rampant at the time. We were very thankful for the Sulk Vaccine! No conspiracy even thought of back then!

JadeLi said...

The world has gone crazy. That's why it is so important to linger in places of sanity. Surrounded by madness I welcome sane enclaves like dVerse. I can't help but feel this is a culling of some kind, but unfortunately it will take too many innocent with it. A friend in another state said that the pediatric units at his local hospitals is overflowing with child covid cases.

Ken / rivrvlogr said...

I'm in your camp. Rant on!

Helen said...

I had hoped your soliloquy would touch on what is happening in our wacky, dangerous, deluded world right now .... and you did ... and you aced it!

brudberg said...

I think some hesitancy is good, but plain denial and alternate truths make me wonder why... they would turn their back even on Trump if he would be a strong advocate for vaccine.