Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Blackthorne Episode 146



image from westernpulpcovers.com 

Blackthorne


Cinemagenic 146


Addendum


Angus said,”They may have taken his trouser snake

addendum, but they cannae take his freedom.”

--Louise Rennison


When a Buck dies, does

weep, and readers get misty-

eyed, sad and woeful.



Many folks have figured out my last episode was the

end of my novel, Rod Buck went out in a blue blaze

of glory.


I set out in 1967, to write an existential Western that

had poetic prose, graphic violence, sex, and

language. I think I succeeded. In 1974, after

graduating from my Actor’s Conservatory, I attempted

to find out if the novel was publishable. I was told by

representatives of the Western Writers of America 

that it was way too off-beat and unconventional, that

I bent or broke almost every rule in the standard

Western format. One letter stated: You have created

something else beyond a Western. It is as if Norman

Mailer or Kurt Vonnegut wrote a Western. Your 

biggest sin was the death of your hero.


I took this as a left-handed compliment. I shrugged

and shelved the manuscript for 40 years. It turns

out that my style was more like an early version of

Cormac McCarthy. It’s not that a Western protagonist

had not perished ever before. Paul Newman died in

both HOMBRE and BUTCH CASSIDY. Alan Ladd was

mortally wounded at the end of SHANE. John Wayne

died in THE SHOOTIST. Gregory Peck died in BILLY

TWO HATS. Kirk Douglas died in LONELY ARE THE

BRAVE. 


Thanks to d’Verse encouragement, and the success of

my 12 episode crime story, LOVE HURTS, I dusted off

BLACKTHORNE, and rewrote it as a Cinemagenic saga,

a “Movie of the Mind”. 


At this point,. I realize that I have gained new respect

for Buck. He has emerged as bigger and more

interesting than I had originally conceived. It seems

now he has more depth, more honor and more

compassion than the character I started with. Some

of you were emotionally moved by him, and are sad

to let him go.


So I am happy to announce that there will be several

more episodes appearing in Open Link Night. I

sincerely hope that you all enjoy the rest of the story.


When an Eagle dies,

everyone wants a wing feather;

beauty and honor. 



Glenn Buttkus


Haibun


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub OLN

12 comments:

Ken / rivrvlogr said...

You've given us a strong tale told well. Thank you, Glenn.

brudberg said...

I love what you did with the story... and so great to know that there will be something coming... I know I have missed a few installments when I've been away for a while, but I have mostly been able to catch up again. I think the traditional western is a lot similar to a Harlequin romance novel. Not a lot of room to deviate from the script.

Ingrid said...

I am so pleased you didn't give up your dream of writing 'Blackthorne.' As a 'movie of the mind' it is remarkable.

forestbather said...

Yes! Wonderful haibun, really liked the denouement if this tale, denouement of ideas, of your own created character...a truly wonderful read.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

It is truly a magnificent tale and I am so glad to know that there will be more episodes in the days to come ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’ Also, many many hearty congratulations on the success of "Love Hurts."

Mish said...

Breaking rules is more memorable, Glenn and it was their absolute loss. Blackthorne is bigger and better than any rules. I admit I have much to catch up on reading, but the episodes I have read have blown me away. Your artistry is undeniable. Thank you for sharing it with all of us and CHEERS to what comes next!

Gillena Cox said...

Your courage is admirable. Bravo

Much๐Ÿ’›love

Dora said...

They do like formulaic plots in the publishing world, Glenn, especially genres like mystery, westerns and romance. But on the other hand, the movie world is so much more flexible. Maybe a screenplay is in the stars for you. I love the haiku at the end: yes, we all want an eagle's feather, and from what I've read of your cinematic installments of Buck's adventures, I'm glad this is no swan song.
Pax,
Dora

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Like Mish, I applaud rule-breakers. I'm glad I happened on this post. I am glad you wish to continue working on your story. It deserves an audience!

robkistner said...

Yo bros! I have asked you many times — when were you going to get the “movie” made… now I realize I’ve been “watching” it all along. Bravo Glenn, I am now in focus! keep the “reels” rollin’. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ™‚✌๐Ÿผ

Ron Rowland said...

Keep breaking the rules. Your death of a hero moves us all to want a wing feather from that eagle.

JadeLi said...

Glenn! So happy you will be writing more on Buck. I enjoyed reading the genesis of Buck's story here. There is only one actor I can think of when I think of him: Steve McQueen. It sounds like you'll have a new chapter ready this Thursday? Fingers and toes crossed!