Monday, November 8, 2021

In The Web



image from pinterest.com

 In The Web


Poetry is a fresh morning spider-web telling a

story of weaving and waiting during a night.”

--Carl Sandburg.


Two steps forward, and one step back; and so it

goes. Bureaucratic bullshit, iron-clad protocols, 

fascism, white supremacy, political-medical-legal

double-speak, deep-rooted prejudices regarding

race and morality, truth vs. lies, information vs.

misinformation, soaring crime, police brutality,

and the uncrossable chasm between the super

wealthy and the rest of us. Add to that the burden of 

being a septuagenarian with a permanent disability, 

and too often I feel like a fly caught in a giant spider-

web, half-cocooned and not looking forward to being 

something’s next meal. 


Regardless, my spirit is resilient, and I refuse to accept 

the pitiful role of victim. I am bombarded yet I stand.

I am assaulted, dehumanized, cheated, taken advantage 

of, insulted and disrespected, yet my eyes still shine, and 

my heart is still strong. I may forget your name, but I still

love you.



Glenn Buttkus


Prosery


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

14 comments:

Merril D. Smith said...

Glenn--yes, there's so much awfulness in the world!
(My part of south jersey just elected racists because they believe all the misinformation and "don't believe in" masks. I think though many just did not vote.)
But I'm glad you can still feel love, too. πŸ’™

indybev said...

I still believe in the vast number of us who are innately good, who care about our neighbors, who leads lives of honesty and integrity ...... and utter amazement at all those you so aptly describe!!

Gillena Cox said...

Aww. This is such a sweet write. Luv that end

Thanks for dropping by to read mine

MuchπŸ’›love

robkistner said...

Hang in there brother. There is still do much ranting to do my friend! πŸ‘ŠπŸΌ

Tricia said...

It does get overwhelming, but then we take a step back and realize we can't get caught up in that spider web of life. (loved the quote). Poetry is a good way to decompress! πŸ’—

Kerfe said...

Great last line. The perfect resistance.

Reena Saxena said...

Captivating read!

Ingrid said...

"yet my eyes still shine, and

my heart is still strong." - I'm glad to hear it, Glenn! That's worth more than any superyacht.

ben Alexander said...

I dunno, Glenn... you seem to be plenty good at remembering names to me! 🀍

Yours,
David

Mary Hood said...

I love your honesty. Half-cocooned. Love is the greatest weapon.

D. Avery said...

You have said it all in 144 words. Well said, well done.

Helen said...

You write hard truth, ending it on a positive .. not a simple thing to do and your fellow writers love you.

Bill said...

Well done, Glenn. Ain't it all a fine state of affairs?

brudberg said...

I wonder why politics has become so much about putting people against people... if it could only be about issues, not the person...

But being honest about what you want is not often the best strategy I guess.