Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Blackthorne Episode 156



painting by Steve Atkinson

 Blackthorne


Cinemagenic 156


Caballo


“When riding a horse, we borrow freedom.”

--Helen Thompson.


1.(sound cue) guitar and coronet.

2(wide drone shot) the encampment in front of the

cabin. (drone descending shot, closing on the front 

door) The vaqueros had pitched two large tents, 

bright red canvas with yellow tassels. These were for

cooking and gathering. There were three smaller 

sleeping tents to one side.

   Jesus was warming up some chow. The river was 

fifty yards from them. One man was washing tin 

dishes, while another was fishing. Adjacent to them 

was a corral with six horses in it. Fancy Spanish

saddles were perched on the top railing. 

3(sound cue) coronet & drums.

4(one-shot) Buck stepped out onto the low porch,

using the crutches, that were capped in lamb’s wool.

5(expand to wide shot) The men exploded in

applause, followed by cat calls and whistles:

Aye, carumba! The Buck! The Buck!

Buck held up his hand, squinting in the sun.

Enough, enough--gracias. You are wonderful

compadres!  He sat down in a tattered wicker chair.

You would think I was Christ risen.

6(two-shot) Jesus: Don’t be so humble, Hefe. Christ 

was only stabbed a couple of times. You were shot

to pieces.

Buck laughed, holding his ribs. Jesus lifted up a hand;

I know. I will try to behave. Jesus put a red sombrero

on Buck to shield his eyes. They placed two over-

turned buckets next to his chair, and brought him some

hot chuck and coffee. 

Buck: Muchas gracias.

He sipped the coffee and his eyes widened:

Damn, son, who boiled their socks in this?

Everyone laughed. One tall charro said:

Probably all of us at one time or another.

Buck groaned. Then he began to eat slowly. The

bacon was thick-cut and meaty. The eggs were 

over hard with black pepper on them. The beans

were spicy. 

Buck: This is some good groceries.

Tall Charro: One good thing about being on the Buck

Watch, is we eat good.

7(sound cue) piano and fiddle.

8(two-shot) After breakfast, Buck shared a cigar with

Jesus. 

Buck: When I get back on my feet, how about you

fellers come to work for me?

Jesus, after a pause, gazing out: Nooo--I don’t think so.

Buck: What?

Jesus: It’s too late.

Buck: I’d pay a fair wage.

Jesus: smiling: Miss Salina already hired all of us. We

are for you already. 

Buck chuckled, and sat up straight in his chair,

shaking his head and folding his arms. You know, I 

probably don’t deserve that woman.

Jesus: Probably not, but you got your hook in her 

good. So you are a damn lucky hombre.

Buck puffed on the cigar and stared out at the corral. 

Suddenly his body jerked. He pushed back the 

sombrero, and pointed out at the horses.

Buck: Who owns the Appaloosa?

Jesus: You do. No one else will ever own him.

Buck: My God, is that....Chatawa?

Jesus: Yes. We found him picketed in the trees when

we came to rescue you. 

Buck: with a tear rolling down his cheek: I am blessed.

Jesus: I promised myself that if you cashed it in, I 

would return that stallion to the wild. 

Buck: I think I’ll be sticking around for a while.

Jesus: Good--that damn horse is wearing us all out 

riding him. A true war horse, a special spirit. So heal

up and mount up.

Buck: I can do that.


 Glenn Buttkus 


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub OLN

7 comments:

JadeLi said...

Glenn, you got me crying when Buck asked if he could hire Jesus and the other vaqueros and Jesus said no and what followed. I *love* this chapter. One of my favorites so far. <3 <3 <3 (3 hearts means couldn't be better)

Kerfe said...

Have I said before how much your beginning quotes illuminate what follows? The spirit of a horse is a powerful thing.

Gillena Cox said...

Bravo. Another interesting one
Happy Thursday

Much💛love

Helen said...

You are quite the writer, Glenn ... able to make words jump off the page (screen) I can hear the drone buzz, the coronet (love you didn't use trumpet) drum, piano, fiddle. I can see the red food tent with yellow tassels and what the characters look like. Pretty powerful stuff.

robkistner said...

Another rich, rambunctious episode, full or imagery and color, nig tip of the hat brother — cowboy hat that is! 😏 My sustaining wish is that this somehow gets produced. Netflix, Paramount +, Peacock could certainly make a fascinating limited series out of it. 🤞🏼

Brendan said...

This immersive Western -- a radio drama caught in some ever-tuned crystal -- allows us a languid ride into Big Country. And we are there.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

great imagination - the sound cues and narrative prompts bring the whole scene vividly alive - I can smell the horses and the food