Friday, January 31, 2014

Trust Me



image borrowed from bing


Trust Me

“Without trust, words become the hollow sound of a
wooden gong. With trust, words become life itself.”
--Anonymous

“Trust me,” said
the con man, the gigolo,
the car salesman,

the whore, the
brother-in-law, the boss,
the scaled serpent,

the leader, the
beggar, the dormouse, the tomcat,
the old vehicle,

the bald tires,
the almost-healed foot, the
seeds of Spring,

the weather, the
tail-wagging barking dog, the
tattered saddle cinch--

I will not
betray you, cheat you, let
you down, take

advantage of you,
disrespect you, hurt you, or
let you come

to harm, so
countless times you extended your
faith, heart, cash,

receiving whatever comes,
positive or negative, smile or
grimace; without guile--
gift for the gods. 

Glenn Buttkus

Posted over on Free Write Friday

Would you like to hear the author read this 10 minute-100 word free write poem to you?

4 comments:

Kellie said...

I love the mentions of so many of those that do indeed deceive us. Great work :)

brudberg said...

Ha, those that promise never to betray us are usually the worst liars.. Wonderful repetitions here,

Mary said...

I have learned to be very suspicious of anyone who says 'trust me.' Time and time again I have found the speakers of these words are the one's one should DIStrust. Excellent message in your words.

Laurie Kolp said...

I only trust my Higher Power.