Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Flotsam




image by glenn buttkus.


Flotsam

“Our language is a mighty river, picking up silt and
flotsam here and discarding it there; but growing
wider and richer.”--Robert MacNeil.

The beaches along the coast
    of Washington State are never
        littered with beautiful and exotic
             shells, but we do get some cool flotsam--
        pieces of rope and torn nets, and
     colorful styrofoam fishing floats,
bouquets of bird feathers,
clam and crab shells after
they’ve been picked over
by gulls and crows--
                     but mostly driftwood, some entire
                     trees, their roots splayed like squid
                     tentacles. I am attracted
to the smaller pieces,
the chips and broken tips.

Upon closer inspection,
each piece turns out 
to be a tiny work of art,
a unique sculpture
fashioned by finger waves
and the stress of the journey.

We seem to be in the Japanese current.
After their tsunami, I found
                               pink tennis shoes,
                               strange children’s toys,
                               and Asian golf balls.

The piece I took with me
was left out on the deck
until it completely dried out;
then it resembled
           a rattlesnake head ready to bite.
           or a capital A running from something,
           or a sea eel coming out of a coral reef.

You know it may have been
                           part of a house,
                      or a piece off some furniture,
                  or the hilt of a Kendo sword,
             or a chunk from a girl’s hope chest
          or the middle of a baseball bat
  or a slat from a suburban picket fence.

It rests on an oak shelf inside now. When I pass
it I often pick it up, rub it, staring at it, marveling
at its rough-hewn beauty. Then I return it to its
repose. After its long journey, it seems happy
in its new home.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

12 comments:

Frank Hubeny said...

That looked like a snake to me as well. Driftwood sometimes seems like a work of art.

Ken Gierke / rivrvlogr said...

"a tiny work of art"
I do appreciate that about driftwood, and your poem.
I also especially like "fashioned by finger waves"

jo said...

Absolutely wonderful descriptive writing!

sarah said...

I like the accumulation of images and ideas. This feels like an object you know very well.

Unknown said...

Great driftwood to be found on the coast of Washington State. Definitely nature's art - evoking so many possibilities. Glad it has found a happy home.

Waltermarks said...

It does have an odd shape. It would work on my curiosity quite a bit. I have collected lots of odd shaped rocks in my yard. These marvels just make you wonder. Now I wonder just what that this is or was?

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the way the shape of your poem reflects the object, Glenn, and the MacNeil quote. I also love all kinds of things along the shore and must go beachcombing again soon. We have shells, but not beautiful and exotic ones. I'm partial to pebbles, stones and fossils - we have plenty of them - and amber. The 'cool flotsam' on your beach must be great for photography. I especially enjoyed the lines:
'...mostly driftwood, some entire
trees, their roots splayed like squid
tentacles...'
and
'each piece turns out
to be a tiny work of art,
a unique sculpture
fashioned by finger waves
and the stress of the journey'.
I like the speculation of what the object might be and the fact that it 'seems happy
in its new home'.

brudberg said...

I really love how you can speculate the history of that object... those pieces of wood are such a comfort to have and to feel... really a good piece of writing Glenn.

Gina said...

love your descriptions of what it could be and how it was formed by the current and journey to you. everything has a history and /i am glad it has found a good home with your. it looks like an ancient artifact on my computer screen.

Dwight L. Roth said...

I love your collection from the beach. A very fitting place for these things of rememberance that have traveled so long and far. Very nice!

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

First -- have always loved the word "flotsam' :)
love the specific details here -- all those treasures churned up by the tide...and formed by the tide into the shapes they are when we stoop down to pick them up
"a unique sculpture
fashioned by finger waves
and the stress of the journey."
These words....love the idea of finger waves. So the river / ocean has fingered the object into its current shape.
In Bermuda, I've loved collecting sea glass but this past year turned more to collecting smooth bits and pieces of ceramics...always looking for the pieces with bits of pattern or writing on them. Isn't it interesting to imagine the lives these treasures have had before we've decided they're our treasures?
Great post to the prompt!

Mish said...

This made me smile as your imagination ran with possible scenarios of driftwood origins. I adore the stuff. Every piece a work of natural art.