Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Fall of Rome





image from timemag.com

The Fall of Rome

“If you must break the law, do it to seize power.”
--Julius Caesar.

When I was in college,
I played a Roman
general in CALIGULA.
I had my girlfriend
give me a permanent
for the part, since my
hair had always been straight.
The next morning when
we took the red rollers out, 
I had a ton of curls.

Looking in the mirror,
I freaked. I looked like
little Lord Faggleroy.
I begged her to take out
the curls on top, leaving them
on the sides and in the back.
Oh, now you want an impermanent?
She reversed the process,
burning my scalp, and
reclaiming my straight bangs.

I did finally enjoy the look
and the play, but it put
the Romans in my head
like a pop song. They had conquered 
most of the known world, ruling
for centuries; until their empire fell,
crumbled into tourista dust.
By the 20th Century, Italy had
become a joke.Even the absurd
rise of Mussolini and Fascism
could not return things
to its former glory.

History teaches us
that the one consistency
mankind enjoys is
imminent impermanence.
The Greeks,
        British,
        French,
        Spanish,
        Dutch &
        Germans,
everybody took turns
at ruling huge chunks
of the world.

America is still a young country,
and our imperialistic impulses
have been kept on the down low,
in Cuba, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Of course greed has always been
the prime motivator, but we’re now
restricted by technology, when
atrocities become breaking news
in mere minutes. It has become
much more difficult to conduct
clandestine operations.

Led by the Trumpeteers,
wounded by partisan wedges,
much of the world has
taken chaos to its bed,
has made hate a mantra,
and gobbles stupidity for breakfast.
I sincerely hope,
like the thief who’s swallowed jewels,
that this too will pass.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub

12 comments:

Merril D. Smith said...

The beginning made me laugh--the impermanent permanent and the school play.
You are so right that emperors rise and fall, and I am hoping for a quick fall of this would-be emperor before it's too late.

kate said...

wow you really got into that roll oops role!

this too will pass, nothing is permanent and greed and hatred definitely have a shelf life

Jade Li said...

It will. Can't you hear the mad fiddler?

indybev said...

For some reason, Glenn, the vision of you with a head full of curls pleases me no end!!
Let us hope the Mad Trumpet get a dose of impermanence, the sooner the better.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I echo you most fervently. And may it pass soon!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

p.s. I also really loved the curly permanent!

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the way you compare the impermanence of the Roman empire with your own impermanent permanent, Glenn! You were braver than me to go to bed in curlers – I’d never sleep! I like the phrases ‘crumbled into tourista dust’ and ‘gobbles stupidity for breakfast’. I'd love to see the back of Trump and BJ both!

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice response from your girlfriend: "Oh, now you want an impermanent?"

brudberg said...

Bad times will pass just like the good times. I remember how it was living under the shadow of Soviet and fear everything that claims to be great.

and great rhymes with hate

purplepeninportland.com said...

Love the "impermanent" Emperors have a way of falling from their thrones. Soon, please!

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

I can only imagine that impermanent permanent-lol. So well done Glenn.

Ali said...

Yes, this too will pass. Thankfully bad haircuts don't last.