Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Blackthorne Episode 150



image from westernvintagecovers.com 

Blackthorne


Cinemagenic 150


River


“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a

river runs through it.”--Norman Maclean.


1(sound cue) Violins.

2(close up) rushing water.

3(voice over) as camera pulls back revealing a

river. Buck; What...water, I can hear water. I’m

sure it’s a river. Where the hell am I? Damn, I

can’t visualize anything, conscious but stranded in

complete darkness. Last thing I remember is

going out that window, and while falling to the

ground, bullets peppering all around me. I did

land on my feet, returning fire, and then....??

4(sound cue) add cello & French horns.

5(overhead drone shot) A fishing cabin, a hundred

yards from the river, lazy smoke rising from a 

rock chimney, the rising sun still hidden behind

some rolling hills, the advance scout rays racing

ahead of the actual rise, painting the sky deep

blood red with tangerine stripes in it. Small water

birds wading in the shallows, pecking for insects.

6(sound cue) birds chirping over soft piano chords.

7(Voice over) Buck: Christ, am I dead? Is this a 

way station? Is that roar the River Styx? This

darkness is vexing. Will I meet Charon? That should

be a treat. If I remember right, I have to pay a fare

to get ferried across the river. Do I still have some

silver in my pants? Have I been righteous enough

to deserve a ride, or will I have to hang around

in some God forsaken corner of Purgatory? 

8(medium wide shot) the sun boldly rising,

revealing its molten core, flecking the river with

plasma and gold. 

9(dolly shot) approaching the cabin, free range

chickens chasing each other and squawking. A

majestic rooster hopped onto porch and crowed.

10(sound cue) trio of cellos.

11(voice over) Buck: A rooster? What the hell are

chickens doing in Purgatory? 

12(dolly up to a window) it is partially open, with

a dirty tattered linen curtain fluttering in the

morning breeze.

13(sound cue) voices can be heard inside.

14(voice over) Buck: Wait a shake, I am 

hearing voices, and I am finally seeing light

directly in front of me. 

15(sound cue) Voice over, a female voice:

Buck, Buck...

16(sound cue) coronet and piano.

17(voice over) Buck: Someone is calling my

name, and I am drawn to it.

“Buck, Buck.”

18(voice over) Buck: Is it time to go? Is this how

it ends? 

19(dolly shot) through the window and into the

cabin. Salina, Henry Wallace, and Doc Sweeney

were gathered around a bed. Buck was in the bed,

swabbed in various bandages. 

20(close up) Buck opens his eyes.

21(one-shot) Salina bends over him:

There’s my sweet man! 



Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub OLN

12 comments:

Ingrid said...

Chickens in purgatory! Love the imagery here Glenn!

brudberg said...

Oh... I love this... the chicken gave it all away.

scotthastiepoet said...

Great the way this gradually, skilfully and very effectively reveals itself Glenn. I could almost hear the camera whirring... Quite a studied piece that, for a fellow writer, was very pleasing in its perfection...

Glenn Buttkus said...

Scott, this is part of my Cinemagenic poetic screenplay saga that has taken 149 episodes to arrive at this moment. I do appreciate your wonderful comment.

Merril D. Smith said...

His mind-voice even when he thinks he's dead stays in character. I love it!
And the chickens!

Gillena Cox said...

"painting the sky deep

blood red with tangerine stripes in it"

This one caught my fancy😊

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Much💜love

Ken / rivrvlogr said...

Wakey-wakey!!

robkistner said...

Excellent Glenn. Put me a bit in mind of “augmented dreams” I had during the times of my rock bands… 😏😉✌🏼❤️

Dwight L. Roth said...

You know you are in trouble when there are chickens in purgatory!
Purgatory must be like a bad discombobulated dream.

JadeLi said...

I can visualize this cutting back and forth between outside the cabin and Buck lying, bandaged in the dark, but increasingly lightening room. So well-written and I can just imagine someone narrating what's in Buck's head as he's thinking these things. I forgot who you said you wanted doing narration. I LOVE that setting! You took me there.

Brendan said...

A symphonic waking back in Kansas. You've poured it richly, with eyes wide to what it means to resurrect from death (or, perhaps, to it.)

Bodhirose said...

Each of your episodes are so entertaining and detailed and often with humor in spite of some hairy situations. I love reading these, Glenn!