Thursday, March 24, 2022

Flights of Fancy



image from pinterest.com


Flights of Fancy


“We live in a fantasy world of illusions. The great 

task in life is to find the reality.”

--Iris Murdoch.


Between wakefulness and REM there

is a place, a dimension that

                 I know.


The experience is vivid.

I hear strange music, assorted

                odd horns.


Swiss alpenhorns, Viking war horns,

didgeridoos, and brass French horns;

                 deep tones.


I smell incense, like sandalwood and

cedar, frankincense, and ginger;

                 pungent.


I float, I fall, spin and fly, when

I am not paralyzed, muscles

                 frozen.


For years I believed I really

was seeing ghosts, aliens and

                 demons.


I found out it’s natural.

hypnagogic when I’m falling

                  asleep,


hypnopompic when waking up.

So I am not crazy after all;

                  so cool.



Glenn Buttkus


Synchronicity


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

13 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Yes indeed you're just normal and may i add i dream in colour and didnt know it wasnt so for everybody. Until one day i was telling my father in law about a dream i had. And he asked me You see colours when you dream and i was stunned dont you Papa?

Much💜love

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is gorgeously, gorgeously rendered, Glenn! I especially like; "The experience is vivid. I hear strange music, assorted odd horns."❤️❤️

robkistner said...

Love this Glenn! I am right there with you my friend. I have had entire episodes occur, half asleep, half awake — they occur as I am seeing my room in a strange haze, that passes… and there I am, awake. So damned strange. Maybe we are both crazy dude…? 🥴😵‍💫✌🏼❤️

forestbather said...

Superb....I can see how it is done..your setting is just right and the denouement as requested..I will learn one day! Your verse was also fascinating by the way...

Grace said...

That is really cool to have those vivid sensoary experiences. A gift, I would say.

Tzvi Fievel said...

"hypnagogic when I’m falling asleep,

hypnopompic when waking up.

So I am not crazy after all."

JadeLi said...

Glenn, I wrote about dreaming, and you wrote about that 'tween time. It's another realm where anything can happen. Bringing the sensory experiences back into waking takes practice, and the more you practice the more recall as you probably know. Do you keep a dream journal?

Reena Saxena said...

Lots of new words to learn here :) - hypnagogic, hypnopompic - Thanks!

Kim Whysall-Hammond aka The Cheesesellers Wife said...

I sometimes have entire, coherent, stories play out in my dreams. All fantastical though, just like you! Love the poem.....

Helen said...

Pure awesomeness, Glenn.

paeansunplugged said...

Love this, Glenn. So many sensory experiences.

ben Alexander said...

I think this is one of my favorites of yours that I've read, Glenn!

-David [ben Alexander]

brudberg said...

I love how it feels so real... and maybe that state between awakeness and sleep is as real as anything else.