Friday, July 25, 2008

Four More Years


Four More Years

I get choked up as I watch a nurse try to save a life
man collapsed in her arms, hands pressed to his heart
another’s eyes are to the sky, searching for hope
screaming “mayday” in her radio, hoping a ‘copter is close

when you lay there, dying, her hand becomes holy
something to grasp so you’re not quite as lonely
a source of warmth as your lips become cold
grateful you weren’t fated to die on your own

i have respect for those who made the choice
to sacrifice their lives. I believe they are loyal
what disgusts me are those who stay on our soil
while others die to defend their lies, even if they don’t know it

some smile when they say “I can’t wait ’til they’re home”
but some don’t make it, sent fake letters of condolence
or they’re misdiagnosed and left on their own
while those in control hope we’ll accept what we’re told

what’s wrong with a system when budgets come to billions
controlled by profit motives so we skimp on equipment
send crates of cash so our friends can get rich
while the innocent die, replaced by politicians

that’s why I’m speaking here to whoever will listen
don’t believe them when they lie and deny they’re complicit
the picture gets ugly when we get down to specifics
with every minute another life will forever be missed.

I wonder why we memorialize men and not lessons
doomed to forget, each generations neglected
so I’m left reading history so I might comprehend
the evidence and see if any patterns are present

this is as much a condemnation as it is a confession
i take responsibility for Bush’s election
though I spent months rallying at protests
I won’t lie and say the red states were any more petty

I’ve learned the price of freedom so I’m forever vigilant
eying the president with malicious consent
that means I accept his authority but expect, when questioned
he won’t lie to America and hide his intent

there’s a power to my vote I can’t pretend to not know
I’m beholden to the future even if I can’t know it
as I wake I realize there’s a weight on my shoulders
’cause if I control the future then its faults are my own

if I control the future then its faults are my own
if I control the future then its faults are my own
if I control the future…
I control the future.

by David Tansey

No comments: