Monday, March 7, 2011

Garleek Mon Amour

Image borrowed from Bing


Garleek Mon Amour

One can not enjoy a hearty serving of garlic
without paying the toll; breath that can wilt
flora and fungi, sweat that lingers like a
pungent pair of used gym socks; a high price
for the allure of spicing your bread, pasta, and poultry;
reminding me of passing through Gilroy, California,
downwind of the garlic processing plant at twilight
when the very air swirled with Mediterranean mites--
still we persist, accepting that we must feed
our passions, recalling fondly that when
in the rakkyo-realm of garlic’s bold caresses
our naughty taste buds are gorged with delight,
like riding bareback at midnight stinking of sex
and imminent danger, fully accepting the sweet
stench of our next allacene hangover, but
at the last minute before social intercourse,
gobbling strong mints and gargling stinging mouthwash,
hoping limply to disguise our transgressions,
but only layering its penetrating odiferous splendor
with artificial ineffective fumes. Our companions
and fellows will first wince, then smile;
daydreaming of lasagna and garlic bread.

Glenn Buttkus

March 2011

Listed as #22 over on Magpie Tales 56

Would you like for the Author to read this poem to you?

9 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I toss a load of garlic into nearly everything I make. I don't worry about the fumes, but embrace the passion.

Elaine said...

A nice piece. I worry about those poor souls receiving the pungent odour of my second hand garlic. Thank you for the smiles!

Paul Bauck said...

I think I know what I want for dinner tonight! Being retired, I don't need to worry about garlic breath.
Paul

Shari said...

sweat that lingers like a
pungent pair of used gym socks, our naughty taste buds are gorged with delight, like riding bareback at midnight stinking of sex
and imminent danger, hoping limply to disguise our transgressions,
but only layering its penetrating odiferous splendor
with artificial ineffective fumes ... You do have a way with the pretty phrases!

Brigid O'Connor said...

Ah, to heck with it, have the garlic anyway.
Now I am daydreaming about lasagna!! Great Magpie.

Lynne Rees said...

Pungent!!

jean Sullivan said...

Strong mints: Stinging mouthwash?
Eschew the damned companions
who fail to understand
the delight
the joy
the sheer necessity
of that food of the gods
GARLIC!!!

Once garlic has been inhaled
can love be far behind?

Laughing.

Jean

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I will gladly pay the toll for a slice of hot smelly garlic bread!

Helen said...

I love garlic ... someone once told me I was 'sweating' garlic! Is that even possible???