Friday, March 25, 2011

Who Am I to Moan?

In Shropshire; image borrowed from Bing


Who am I to moan?

I live in a part of the world
which is not shaken by earthquakes,
which suffers no tsunamis,
which does not groan under the heel of a tyrant;
water and food are plentiful,
I have a house to live in,
a roof over my head.
My loved ones are safe,
we need not cower and hide from bombs or guns,
we can speak our mind freely.
If we don't like our government -
and who ever does? -
we simply say so at an election,
where we can freely exercise our civic right,
without let or hindrance.
Many of us take this right so much for granted
that we ignore it, we hardly even bother
to go to the polls. We make it a national hobby
to complain about the weather,
we moan about the rain,
we say "They" should stop rivers
bursting their banks and then
we go and build houses on floodplains.

Friko

Posted over on her site Friko's World

No comments: