Monday, September 16, 2019

Uncelebrated




image from fineartamerica.com
painting by Igor Postash.


Uncelebrated 

“It’s hard to hold the hand of anyone who is 
reaching for the sky just to surrender.”
--Leonard Cohen.

I’ve had several English teachers advise me to
become a writer--but none of them advised me to
become a poet or an actor; two pursuits that
provide succor and heartbreak. I, of course,
became both. I, also, out of necessity, became a
teacher, which paid the bills.

By 1974, I had written two novels--an existential
Western, BLACKTHORNE, and a detective novel,
BAERBAK, placed in Seattle. I submitted them both
for publication. No one was ready for them. I was
advised to write non-fiction. Damn it, I don’t want to
be paid to write--I want to be paid for what I write.

I looked into self-publishing, but I had too much anger
and pride to follow through. I rationalized that to be
published was no big deal; there’s always the internet; 
a select pool of readers. At 75, I can live with that.


Glenn Buttkus

Prosery: Leonard Cohen, Book of Longing

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

12 comments:

tonispencer said...

I am not much on being published either.

Vivian Zems said...

Good for you and that you did exactly what you wanted to do in the end. Well crafted.

Timothy Philippart said...

About five years ago, I retired and started writing poetry -- at least that is what I call it. After years of owning my own business, I anguished over how I was going to monetize this poetry habit. After taking every bit of those five years, I have concluded, I, at least, will not make any money doing this and I don't care.

Glenn Buttkus said...

I misread the prompt. I think this is a pretty good poem, but I wrote another that adheres to the prompt parameters.

Jade Li said...

Writing is a passion. Being read is a blessing. What I love about blogging is that both are possible here. If you don't need the money, why worry about being published...

Merril D. Smith said...

Thanks for sharing, Glenn. It sounds like you've done what you wanted to do.
And Leonard Cohen is always good inspiration. As you said, you didn't quite follow the prompt. I don't think it has to be fiction, but it must be prose using the given line.

Truedessa said...

Glenn, I am glad you have shared your stories with us on-line. I really have enjoyed reading each segment of BLACKTHORNE. You are a masterful story-teller. To me sometimes it's about the journey not necessary the destiny (publication).

Wishing you a happy Monday!

Kim M. Russell said...

I’ve had similar experiences, Glenn. I’m still trying to get my novel published, although I have had poems, short stories and flash fiction published in anthologies. I just go on writing, like you, because I have that need. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote that poetry and acting provide succour and heartbreak – and, as you know, I was a teacher too.

judydykstrabrown.com said...

Yes. I agree. Gotta do what you gotta do.

brudberg said...

Never submitted anything... but blogging and the knowledge I can self-publish is good enough for me.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Bravo Glenn for continuing to pursue your passion.

purplepeninportland.com said...

I just wanna to enjoy the writing and share it with other like-minded people. I get it.