Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Blackthorne Episode 110



image from pulpcovers.com


Blackthorne

Cinemagenic 110

The Office

“I had told my doctor that I had broken my leg in
two places. He told me to quit going to those places.”
--Henny Youngman.

1(medium two shot)
Buck and Salina. Illumination
from lantern swinging on the driver’s side, flickered
across their faces. 
2(sound cue) piano and harmonica.
Salina: I’m so sorry.
Buck: This had nothing to do with you.
Salina: I know, but there is the Thor factor.
Buck: Yeah, there is that, but the bigger picture
deals with the Bronson factor.
Salina: I’m sad that this happened to you.
You were just getting on your feet.
Buck was lost in thought.
Salina: But hear me out--I don’t think it was 
Cash that was responsible for this.
Buck: a little irritated--Why in hell not?
Salina: Because I know him better than you do,
and he had too much to lose showing his hand
before your meeting tomorrow.”
Buck pondered this.
3(close-up) Salina: I think it was Thor.
4(sound cue) Horse shoes on hard ground 
conversed with creaking leather and rolling
wheels as the minutes crept by. Buck said
nothing and Salina respected that.
5(two-shot) Buck noticed she was weeping.
Buck: What’s this about?
6(close-up) Salina, her voice high pitched:
Because I’m over the moon for you, and silly me,
I just want you to stick around.
7(two-shot) Buck: I’m not planning on going any-
where.
Salina: I’m talking about you living or dying.
Buck: So am I.
8(sound cue) violins.
Salina: I mean this crisis has pushed doubt out of
the picture. I’m betting the whole poke on us.
Buck: I think I understand, but I’ve got a lot of
hash on my platter at the moment.
Salina: I’m here for you. This ain’t puppy love.
You need to know that if you decide to leave here
before it’s all over, I’m going with you--and if you
stay until it’s finished, I’ll be at your elbow.
Buck, his eyes moistening: I don’t deserve you.
Salina: Forget that nonsense, you’re stuck with
me now because I’ve notified the universe that
I love you.
Buck could not speak.
Salina: Did you hear me, Roderick Buck?
Buck: in a small voice, Yes I do.
Salina: Well, it’s rude for a fellow not to respond.
Buck: I’ve only really been in love with one other
woman, and she was killed.
Salina: Christ, I’m not proposing marriage--I just
want you to know where I stand.
Buck: She was a Cheyenne, does that make any
difference to you.
Salina: Hell no. The  men I’ve been with are all
ancient history too.
Buck: You’ve sold me sweet lady--we’ll try it.
She rested her head against his big shoulder, and
he felt a lump gather in his throat. 
9(medium shot) Stationary. The lights of Blackthorne
winked in the distance. The two wagons pulled away
and were swallowed by the gloaming.
10(cut to wide crane shot) When they arrived in town,
there were people in the street. The crowd stood in
three clumps, one in front of the CHINA DOLL, one
in front of the BRONSON HOUSE, and a smaller one
in front of PEDRO’S. The freight wagon came in 
slowly, and folks clustered like bees around the wagon.
Hart reined up in front of the empty barber shop. The
doctor’s office was on top of it. Wallace got down
first and lowered the wagon’s tailgate as Buck and
Salina pulled up in the carriage. Mateo appeared
next to Wallace: Dios, is that the Eagle?
Wallace, his face flushed: Yup, that’s Johnny. A gang
of bastards bushwhacked him and burned down Buck’s
ranch. They all died in the effort.
Buck: How is he?
Doc Sweeney: His bleeding stopped a while ago, but I
have some doctoring to do. Some of you, give us a hand
here. We’ve got to get this man upstairs.


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at  d'Verse Poets Pub

16 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh this was packed with romance and plot... yes I too believe it's Thor, he is the real brute (but there is still the Bronson factor to care about)

Kim M. Russell said...

I didn’t know what to think when I saw the title ‘The Office’, Glenn, wondered what was going on, and then was relieved to see Salina and Buck were still there. I like the description of the setting, with the lantern swinging on the carriage, and I love the progression from Buck being lost in thought to finally getting down to the nitty gritty of their feelings. I especially love Salina’s declaration of love: “Forget that nonsense, you’re stuck with me now because I’ve notified the universe that I love you.”

anthonynorth said...

That's quite a conversation. Nice one.

Jade Li said...

"you’re stuck with me now because I’ve notified the universe that I love you."

What a tender and intimate exchange between Salina and Buck.

I can't see another plot option than Thor's lingering and painful death. A quick one is not acceptable.

The Eagle lives! Yes!

Frank Hubeny said...

I'm glad to hear Buck and Salina got together.

Charlie Zero the Poet said...

The conversations in this story packs romance and Thor and Bronson factor.

Man, you should make this into a movie. I'll pay to see your movie. :) I love this.

scotthastiepoet said...

You do stuff I could;t dream of doing here, Glen - you got it all taped, as we say over here,,,

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I love the conversation between Salina and Buck, not to mention the part where she respects his silence. There is true romance here which is difficult to portray but gosh you have done it marvelously!!💝💝 If this becomes a movie, it will be a huge blockbuster!😃

Grace said...

Salina and Buck - love the tenderness and revelation. She is a gutsy woman. The action continues!!!

Dwight L. Roth said...

A great story. Took me back to the fifties listening to the Lone Ranger on the upright radio. But I don't think there were any romances in the Lone Ranger's life!!

Snow's Fissures and Fractures said...

Hats off to you, dear sir.

ZQ said...

Intriguing story.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Been busy our last week in San Diego (returning to Boston on Wednesday) so did not post for OLN but just had to go back today to read your western here. LOVE the Henny Youngman quotation!
And, as always, enamored with Buck and Salina....and most especially this short snippet of yours:
"Salina: Did you hear me, Roderick Buck?
Buck: in a small voice, Yes I do."
These two lines.....very very special! :)

Chanchal said...

Roku gives the least complex approach to stream excitement to your TV. On your terms. With a roku.com/link great many accessible channels to look over

Chanchal said...


To get roku link code, follow is the procedure to get roku link code. A browser is required to facilitate access to any roku account, so at first open your web brower. Login your Roku roku.com/link account by providing required details. Then, go to Player section to retrieve the link code. Once getting the roku link code, open Link your Roku device.

Chanchal said...

cafee Antivirus Download and Free Trial Security Software. mcafee.com/activate Use our 30-day groundwork to get free antivirus insurance and illness launch while you discover how McAfee can ensure your PC superior to other security thing.